SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

My First 'Real' Quilt

cziga
16 years ago

Ok, So I've been around this forum for a little while, learning and practicing. I've done a couple pillows, tried a couple designs.

This was my first real attempt at a quilt. Its not quite done yet and I need some advice on the actual quilting of it.

It is more of a lap quilt size and I'm afraid I can't post a picture as I don't have a digital camera yet. Perhaps in the future sometime. Its not great, there are mistakes all over . . . but I'm guessing I probably notice them more than most other people will. I made this as a wedding gift for a very good friend of mine. This is a link to the pattern, if you scroll down to the bottom, I arranged mine like the last one, the Heart shape. I thought it would be nice for a wedding, and much simpler than the double wedding ring pattern :)

I used a medium purple for the inner heart, a dark navy blue (looks almost black) for the background, and a silvery-grey mottled fabric for the borders around the purple heart. I'm not sure how to quilt it though. Should I just quilt in the ditch or try a pattern? Should I change thread colours as I move to different coloured fabrics, or use the same colour throughout? Not sure exactly what to do at this point . . . any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to the pattern I used

Comments (12)