SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmhrsumbin

Questions about making an offer on a FSBO

bmhrsumbin
17 years ago

Hello, new to forum, hope this is an appropriate subject.

My family and I are looking at a house that is FSBO. The owner is asking 100k, but is very open that they are "open to offers". It just came on the market in the past couple of weeks. The housing market in this area has really stalled. This is a small rural community, and is where I have lived all my life. These people have owned the home for about 15 years. They bought it for about 30k and since then have put a new kitchen and bathroom in it, and refinished the existing oak woodwork, etc.

It is a nice home overall, but needs either painted or sided, a new hot water boiler, electrical upgrades, gutters, the list goes on. The basement is not really usable, nor is the attic (both unfinished and reflective of their 1930 vintage). It sits on 3/4 acre of land with a barn that was partially converted to a garage.

There are a lot of very charming things about the house and grounds, but it is not perfect.

I am aware of the issues and prepared to deal with them.

This will be the fifth home I have owned, so I know the pitfalls, etc.

My question is this. Based on my research and market trends, etc, This house really isn't worth more than around 60k.

I just feel a little hesitant offering the owner what I feel it is worth, when there is such a difference between the asking price and what I feel it is worth.

It does seem to happen in this area that people ask high figures for their houses, then end up not selling them, and then they go at auction for roughly half of what they were asking in the first place (e.g. a 125k asking price brought 67k @ auction, 60k asking price brought 29k at auction, etc)

So---how would you approach this keeping in mind that this is a small community and I know the seller personally.

Thank you in advance, sorry for the long post!

Comments (8)