SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthanna_gw

LOOKING for: Fruit and meat recipes

17 years ago

I have a love-hate relationship with recipes that combine fruit with meat or poultry. Some of my favorite recipes include both but some that I've tried have been so awful that if I'd had them first, I probably would have dismissed that combination forever.

I think there has to be the right proportion of ingredients and the correct amount and type of seasoning. This was one of the first recipes I made with fruit flavoring in a savory dish. I don't remember where I found it because I was only about 16 but have made it many times since then. My apologies to any natives of Brazil because this is probably not an authentic recipe from your country but that's what it was called.

BRAZILIAN POT ROAST

3-4 lb. beef roast (chuck or rump is good)

1 tsp. salt

2 Tbs. lemon juice

2 slices bacon

1 clove garlic, minced

2/3 cup chopped onion

4 whole cloves

1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

1/2 bay leaf

1 tsp. sugar

1 cup canned diced tomatoes and juice

1 cup orange juice

1/4 cup chopped parsley

Season meat on all sides with lemon juice and salt. Set aside. Saute bacon until barely crisp in Dutch oven or large covered skillet; remove bacon. Add meat to pan and brown evenly. Combine remaining ingredients except parsley and add to beef. Crumble cooked bacon over meat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat; cover and simmer over low heat for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until very tender. Remove bay leaf and stir in parsley before serving.

How do you feel about fruit with meat or poultry and if you like it, what are your favorite ways to combine it?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath