SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncage

recipe: looking for: good general tso chicken recipe

ncage
17 years ago

Ok people i have searched the internet for a General TSO Chicken recipe. The following recipe is pretty close to every one i find:

" 4 Chicken legs with thighs

1/2 c Soy sauce

1/2 c Distilled white vinegar

1 cl Garlic; minced

1 ts Ginger root; Peeled & minced

1 ts Cornstarch

1 lg Egg; beaten lightly

1/3 c Corn oil

4 Dried hot chilis; seeded

Bone the chicken legs, including the thighs by scraping the meat from the bone, working downward and keeping close to the bone. Pull the meat down over the bone (pulling it inside out like a glove) and cut it free from the bone. Discard the skin and cut the meat from each leg into 6 pieces.

In a bowl combine the soy sauce, vinegar, 1/2 c water, the garlic and ginger root.

In another bowl, combine the egg and cornstarch and dip the chicken pieces. Heat the oil in a wok or deep, heavy skillet until very hot, add the chicken and fry it for 4 to 6 minutes, or until it is crisp. Transfer the chicken with tongs to paper towels to drain and pour off all but 1 T of the oil from the wok. Add the soy sauce mixture, the chili peppers and the chicken and cook the mixture over moderately high heat for 2 minutes, or until heated through.

Transfer it to a heated serving dish. Serves 4."

I don't know how they fix general tso chicken in your area but this is not like general tso chicken in my area. First of all every single general tso chicken ive had (the sauce is red). THe sauce from this type of recipe is black.Your not going to get a red color to your sauce by just throwing red whole chilies in. Also the tso chicken around here is a perfect combination of sweet/spicy. If you look above the recipe doesn't have anything in it to make it spicy. Can someone give me a good recipe for general tso?

thanks,

ncage

Comments (6)