SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

Decorating & Electrical Outlets

dakota01
13 years ago

I'm meeting with the electrician this week for my new home.

What/where are some areas that you needed more outlets or lighting than what your builder spec'd in?

What did you add?

I know that I want an extra outlet in my MBath for a TV (also have the cable put in there)

An outlet at the fireplace mantle

Eyeball lights for my fireplace

A few extra outlets on the porches for holiday lights

I would appreciate imput so I don't miss anything.

Comments (33)

• natal
    13 years ago

I wish I had thought to put an outlet on the wall near the top of the screens on the screened porch ... to hang strings of lights. Have two a foot or so from the floor, but to hang lights I'd have to deal with a too-visible cord.

If there's a possibility of an outdoor fountain consider having a switch indoors where you can turn it off and on. I love that feature!

• les917
    13 years ago

Lights in the ceilings of the porches, to use at night or on gloomy days not just for outside, but to keep the inside of the house from feeling too dark.

Outlets in the walk-in closets for using an iron, or a steamer, or should you decide to add a chest and lamp/mirror in part of the space.

FWIW, I would have outlets put on either end of the mantel, set into the top, so that if you wanted a pair of lights on either end, you would be able to plug them right in, rather than having cords running. Now, if you have sconces on the wall hardwired in above the mantel, that wouldn't be important.

Outlets on a kitchen island for plugging in things like mixers, etc or even a lamp.

• Related Discussions

Electrical Outlet Cover Gaskets

Q

Comments (10)
    I found a company that sells the "Decorator" or "Decora" Leviton switch and outlet sealers/gaskets. I looked all over for these foam gaskets. For those of you don't know, the Decora are the fat, contemporary rocker style switches found in newer homes. They will also work on bathroom GFI outlets. You can find them at: http://www.reducemyenergy.com/draftproducts.htm Here is a link that might be useful: Electric Outlet Sealers/Gaskets in Bulk - Decora - Leviton - Decorator
    ...See More

Help; outside electrical outlet

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks..I just went on a GFCI hunt and can't seem to locate the problem. Checked the garage and outside I also reset the main breaker switch..would this reset any GFCI's that were tripped? There used to be a weird GFCI in the ceiling of my unfinished basement. I had a handyman install and sensor in my outdoor lightpost (the GFCI in the basement controlled the post) and now when I went to the basement to reset that one he had covered it with a plate so I couldn't get to the switch. Looks like he moved it?? I have no idea where he would have moved it and no idea how to get in touch with him. The light post is still working though so I guess that GFCI wouldn't control my broken outlet. Thanks for the trouble shooting!
    ...See More

Island Install w/Decorative Doors and one electrical outlet

Q

Comments (0)
    Island cabinets are installed/secured to floor as well as to one another. 1/4" finish panels have been cut and dry-fitted but not yet installed (plan to use liquid nails, clamps and pin nailer to secure). I also have decorative doors to follow 1/4" finish panels (plan to attach from inside the cabinet using screws after clamping in place and pre-drilling, no adhesive). One cabinet will have an electrical outlet. I plan to use a jigsaw to cut the opening for the outlet. In considering that there are three different pieces (1/2" cabinet side panel, 1/4" finish panel and (?, not clear per specs)" decorative door center panel), and provided the decorative door does not cover the entire 24"x30" surface area (although maybe 95% of it) from a 1-to-1 alignment perspective, is it best to secure both the 1/4" finish panels and doors in order to make cuts as if a single piece of wood rather than three individual pieces of wood? Note: I am obviously not a professional and literally the tougest cuts that I have made with a jigsaw were only done recently to cut scribed filler strips.
    ...See More

Electrical outlets

Q

Comments (18)
    I also added a relatively high outlet in each room. When I had hip issues, it was difficult to bend so plugging in vacuum cleaners became difficult. Higher outlets is also a good idea for those contemplating aging in place. Since not all of my plugs are at a higher level, mine is just integrated into the light switch but my parents' retirement condo had all higher level plugs. And place plugs to the side of ANYWHERE there will be furniture. I just remodeled and added loads of plugs - inside cabinets; to the side of bed and couches. I also built a wall unit so there are sufficient outlets in the wall behind the desk and counter as well as the roll out cabinet that holds the printer. The outlets serving my walk init/desk are at the same level as the desk so I don’t have to creep around under the desk anymore to plug in equipKent. My old desk area had a tangle of long forgotten cords tracing the history of my computer and peripherals and it was such an ordeal to creep around down there to attempt to figure out which plug belonged to which device.
    ...See More
  • dilly_dally
    13 years ago

I have no idea what the code is for your area for receptacle placement but some of the places people complain about not having outlets are; Hallways, (Where to plug in a lamp or night light?) especially since one cannot run an extension cord from another room without interfering with a door closing. Stairwells, (You're gonna want to vacuum them stairs sometime. Maybe use lighting over artwork.) The middle of the room. Yes, if you plan on grouping your furniture around a focal point instead of arranging it mashed up against the wall you will need outlets in the floor in the middle of the room. Maybe floor outlets in a home office? Don't forget having an outlet in a closet for charging up electric brooms or other cleaning devices. And have one in a linen closet for charging shavers and toothbrushes keeping them off the vanity area. Extra ones in the garage for charging drills and such.

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

If you'll be using electric outdoor trimmers, mowers, etc., have plenty of outdoor outlets. Any areas where there's going to be heavy electronic use...computers, printers, fax machines, digital cameras, cordless phones, I'd add extra outlets. In bedrooms, think of every possible way that a bed could be arranged, and position outlets for lamps, clocks, etc. Same thing for living areas. Where all could you possibly put a couch or chair with an end table and lamp? It's frustrating to be forced into certain furniture placement, due to lack of outlets.

Our house actually has too many outlets, and they're in weird places. Inside of my linen closets, inside a built-in blanket chest/window seat, at eye level on the wall oposite the toilet, etc. I can't imagine how the PO's ever used those, and I see many of them as a fire hazard, so have had to plug them with those kiddie-proof outlet covers.

• natal
    13 years ago

A closet is also a good place to recharge a battery-operated stick vacuum and plug in a paper shredder.

For holidays or anytime ... if you're into window candles ... I thought this was a great idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: window candles

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

I may be repeating what others have said, but decided that might be a good thing because you are wanting to know the best places for extra outlets and lighting.
    On both ends of the kitchen island.
    Switches for lighting at all entrances for all lighting in each room. You really don't know how you'll use your home until you live in it.
    Outlets every six feet, even in hallways.
    Dimmer switches for any light fixture that you might want as a night light for anyone coming home in after everyone else is in bed. Especially if you change the furniture often. ;^D
    Under-cabinet lighting for prep-work and over sink.
    Light fixtures in all closets, whether walk in or otherwise.
    If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Oh Natal, I'm so loving that idea! I love window candles!

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

One more thought..........You may want some outlets that operate with a wall switch. That way you can turn lamps on and off when you enter/leave a room rather than running around finding the switch on each lamp. Personally I hate them but others seem to love the idea.

• natal
    13 years ago

You may want some outlets that operate with a wall switch.

My mom had one of those in the family room. Made it nice for her at night. She could leave table lamps on and turn them off with the wall switch as she exited the room.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I also specify a quad by each side of the bed. (One quad for a twin bed). Lamp, clock, phone, (most modern ones anyway), and a spare (phone charger, white noise machine, CPAP, whatever) . Having eight places to plug in at a full or queen bed may seem excessive but you will use up them fast.

Dimmers on all ceiling lights/sconces, even bathroom :)

At least one outlet in every closet.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Lots of good suggestions above. Think about where you'll want to plug in outdoor lights if you do those at the holidays, and have those outdoor outlets on a switch that you can operate from indoors. Also it's a good time to think about landscape lighting and where you might want to have outlets outside for that (also using switches you control from inside.) We have a detached garage and like having the garage lights (the decorative outside ones, not inside the garage) on a switch we control from inside the house.

Think about where you'll recharge cell phones, etc. I'd love to have an outlet in a drawer for recharging things and I'd also like an outlet in a bathroom drawer for the rechargeable toothbrush (but our electrician said it wasn't to code.) If you can't put an outlet in a drawer, one at the back of a shelf would be handy.

We have an outlet in the back of one of our pantry cabinets; it's where we plug in the water cooler (I didn't want a water dispenser on the frig door.) Eventually I'll mount and plug the hand vac in there too.

When we did our reno, we took the opportunity before the walls and ceilings went up to install an audio system (it gives us 2 iPod docking stations, 5 zones with speakers, and you choose between one of the iPods, Blueray/CD player, TV, etc. So we can listen to one thing in the kitchen or DR and the kids can listen to something else outside or in the basement.) Cheaper to do this before the walls go up!

If you are going to mount a TV on a wall (e.g. over a fireplace) have piping run from the spot where the TV will go over to a corner or wherever you'll put all the components, so that you can hide all the cables in the wall.

Lots of people on the kitchens forum wish they didn't have outlets on their backsplashes that interrupt up a pretty backsplash tile pattern. Think about where you'll keep things out on the kitchen counter (e.g., a toaster); those outlets will be hidden behind the small appliance. For other spots where you'll only plug things in occassionally (e.g. a blender that you'll put away when done), you can consider plugmold: a strip of plugs that are attached to the bottom of cabinets and hidden from view.

If you have a kitchen island, definitely have an outlet or two installed somewhere there so you can plug in your mixer or whatever when you need it. There's a thread on the kitchen forum with ideas for hiding island outlets.

Whew - sorry I got really verbose!

Here is a link that might be useful: Islands with outlets

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

You can avoid outlets on backsplashes if you have them installed under the cabinets where they are not noticeable at all!

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Make sure you check code in your area before adding under the cabinet outlets. I love the idea, but they are not acceptable everywhere. Inside switches for exterior outlets is one thing I wish we would have thought of. Save from going out in the bitter cold to turn in Christmas lights.
    Great idea for quad outlets on each side of the bed too. Add heating pad and vaporizer to the list of things you might need an outlet for.
    I'll also second the pantry outlet. When hubby has time he'll add one to ours for our toaster oven. I'm tired of bringing it out to use it. In our last home it was under mounted to save counter space but our current home has many cabinets that set on the counter.
    Which reminds me if you have cabinets that are at counter level put outlets in them. We have our drink center and toast in two of our counter cabinets.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• natal
    13 years ago

Inside switches for exterior outlets is one thing I wish we would have thought of. Save from going out in the bitter cold to turn in Christmas lights.

There's an easy fix for that. We used one last year. Worked beautifully! No need to go outdoors.

Here is a link that might be useful: remote control

• nkkp
    13 years ago

Speaking of Christmas, we put an outlet beneath (or beside when it wasn't possible) each window for Christmas decorations/candles etc.

We have tall cabinets in our bathrooms so we added outlets inside of them. This way the hair dryer, razor etc stays plugged-up but out-of-sight.

• totallyconfused
    13 years ago

I wish I had said "yes" when the electrian asked if I wanted outlets in the front porch ceiling. Sure would have made Christmas lights easier.

Also, think if you have any furniture pieces that are open at the bottom. My nightstands are open at the bottom and you can see the lamp cords trailing down to the outlets. It drives me crazy. I wish I had thought to ask to have those outlets placed higher on the wall so they would be hidden.

Totally Confused

• lee676
    13 years ago

Conduits everywhere with dummy nylon pull cords in them so you can easily fish new wire or cable (of whatever type may be necessary in the future) as it becomes necessary.

Outlets in cabinets where you may want to store, say, a Dustbuster or a rechargeable gadget.

It's not just outlets that matter - make sure there are more than enough electrical circuits that they're on. What good are outlets if you plug in a new thing and it trips the circuit breaker?

A separate mains switch *before* the incoming power lines reach your circuit breaker panel. That way, it's easy for anyone to add new circuits or change old ones as it becomes necessary, or even upgrade the whole panel.

I expect 240V electrical items will become more common in the future - they're optimal for high-speed ovens, clothes washers, and if they ever catch on, electric or plug-in-hybrid cars.

• dakota01
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WOW - Some great suggestions here !

The code where I live does not allow plugs in closets. Though, I want to read the code because it may only be certain size closets/cabinets.
    I really wish we could, because in my last house the electrian put them in (inspector didn't notice them) and I loved them in the bath and the kitchen!

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

Another one............If you iron a lot, (Yes, some of us still do iron dress clothes and those who sew, need to iron throughout their projects.) have the outlet you intend to use for your iron put at ironing board height. This makes it so much easier not having to bend down all the time for all that plugging and unplugging. It also gives more cord length.

My home came with a built in ironing board and the outlet was installed high. My parents home had a high outlet by the ironing board cabinet too. Since my mother did not like ironing in the kitchen she had an outlet installed 5ft off the ground right in the middle of the wall in another room for ironing. I'm sure when the house is sold people will ponder the placement.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

A whole house surge protector.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

more master bath outlets!!! we are putting more in our cabinets...for chargers, hairdryer, flatiron, toothbrush, razor, radio, etc,etc,etc!!!

• Olychick
    13 years ago

My house doesn't have overhead lights in any of the bedrooms, but the builder wired all the outlets to be controlled by a wall switch near the door. But only the top receptacle is controlled by the switch, which is great. You can plug lamps into the top receptacle to turn on the lamps but the clocks and other things aren't affected. The living room and dining room are also wired that way.

I would have wall switches that control lamps by the bed installed near the edge of the bed headboard so you can easily flip a switch to turn off the lamps without having to reach the switch on the lamp. Some of them are too far away, too tall, too hard to find, etc. when you're ready to go to sleep.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

oly, I want your electrician! Love the idea of only the top receptacle controlled by the switch!! Brilliant.

Justgotabme, I am curious why code would allow outlets inside a cabinet, but not mounted under a cabinet. Seems odd to me-I would think having a heating appliance like a toaster inside a cabinet would be way more dangerous than plugging it into an outlet in the molding under the upper cabinet.

• dilly_dally
    13 years ago

"I am curious why code would allow outlets inside a cabinet, but not mounted under a cabinet."

I believe it is because they are "hidden" and someone not realizing they are installed there could run a wet hand or drippy wet sponge or metal utensil over them.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I grew up in a house that had one of the outlets controlled by the wall switch and the other live all the time and it was great. I have never had it since.

I did an electrical walkthrough with a client's electrician who talked her out of it "Because you forget which one is which, and you plug your clock in the one controlled by the switch and the shut it off, etc. ad nauseum". He just didn't want to do it.

On the other side of the coin, I was in a house where ALL the window candles for the entire house (which must have had 50 windows, it was obnoxious) were controlled by One switch. It was very convenient and brilliant if you want that look. Also expensive.

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

In addition to all the above great suggestions, make sure there is an outlet very close to your cooktop/range - perfect for a stick blender or other appliance that may need to be within easy reach while you're working at the stove. Also, if you think that you may want ceiling fans (now or in the future), have the hangers installed before the drywall goes up whether you use it for a fan or other fixture; the only price difference should be the cost of the hanger vs. the cost of a box.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

cyn, I never asked about putting outlets under the cabinets themselves here so I really don't know. It could be what Dilly Dally suggested, but I doubt it since they'd have to GFCI which shuts off power if they get wet. I googled, but couldn't find info on why you can't do it. Just info on how to do it.
    I do know when adding lighting under the cabinet above our corner sink we had to use conduit and a metal circuit box.

• juleecat
    13 years ago

I brought my vacuum to the first walk-thru with the electrician-wanted to be sure there were outlets where I needed them! We have outlets under all the windows in the front of the house that are connected to one wall switch-for Christmas candles! We use a remote for the fountains outside, and put the Christmas lights on timers.

• dilettante_gw
    13 years ago

If your house is new construction, you'll have plenty of outlets just to meet code. Other places to consider:

1. At least one on your deck for lights, fan, cooking tools, etc.
    2. In multiple places around the house and yard, outlets for electric yard tools (so much quieter, easier, and cleaner than gas ones, even if the cords are a nuisance).
    3. Make sure there's one that's easy to reach in the room where you'll be ironing. If you do ironing in a laundry room, the laundry outlets may be hard to get to, and the cords on irons are short.
    4. Anywhere you'll need to plug in a vacuum.
    5. Wherever anything that needs to be charged (hand vacs, emergency lights, etc.)
    6. In the attic, basement, and garage. (My electrician installed an outlet for me in my attic for his own use and didn't charge me, rather than run a long power cord to the 2nd floor. My house was built c. 1870 and is deficient in outlets, although I've added several.)
    7. Consider outlets on the walls behind the toilets for heated or bidet seats.
    8. Have ceiling lights wired with 3 wires, so you can add ceiling fans later easily if you want (and have separate controls for the lights and fans).
    9. Make sure that rooms with multiple entrances are wired for 3-way lights.

1. You may need extra outlets in your home office.
  • nhb22
    13 years ago

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but you may want to add up-lights in some corners of your room. It's rare that outlets are placed in corners of a room. We have two that are controlled by light switches. They up-light large plants.

Also, don't forget stair landings if you have a large one. Great for a small chest with a lamp on top.

• lesterd
    13 years ago

We have plug mold under most of the kitchen cabinets and only 1 switch on the wall for the garbage disposal.

I'd recommend a re-charging centers for cell phones/ipods/blackberries...whatever. 4 receptables inside a cupboard.

You'll need one under your kitchen sink/behind the dishwasher for the dishwasher. We have 4 receptables on the back wall of our house and another 2 on the garage wall that faces the house. We use them for lawn tools all the time.

I'd also combine wall switches so that you have as few as possible. Coming into our kitchen, we have a plate with 3. Leaving the family room, we have a plate with 5, for example.

If you have a computer station, make sure you have enough plugs if your aren't wireless.

I agree with others that the more the better, but consolidate them to keep the look clean.

• goldengirl327
    13 years ago

If you plan to drape your bannister with lights at the holidays, make sure you add outlets near the top of the stairs to plug in your strings. Also, if you can't fit that great window candle system into your plan, you might want to consider plugs under each window with one half of the receptacle dedicated to a main switch. In our house we call it the Christmas switch! It makes it so much easier at dusk to to flip one switch in the foyer instead of running around the house and tending to each individual light - like we did in our last house!

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

diletantte's number three reminded me of the one in our laundry room that I use for our iron. It's about 30 inches or so above the height of the iron board when up. I cord never gets in my way when ironing now.
    Also if you have children think about adding an outlet along with the light switch to the room to place a night light that's easy to reach to turn on and it's light doesn't get hidden by furniture placement.