SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
powermuffin

How much to do with Mom's house

powermuffin
13 years ago

Hello. We are going to sell my Mom's house in S. Cal. Her neighborhood is pleasant and the homes are all about 1800 sq ft, so modest sized, 1960's. Houses seem to go for $350,000 to $380,000. Most have replaced the windows; ours are original and not pretty. Our roof is being replaced, electrical and plumbing upgraded.

The house is a wreck, baths and kitchen need to be gutted. We are having a hard time deciding how far we take the renovations and eventually will have realtors give us some input. In the mean time, we need to get the bathrooms working. My brother, who lives there, will not allow a realtor in until the baths are done.

My sister would like to put in a acrylic tub and surround; my husband would like to put in a steel tub with a tile surround. This is work that we have done before and do not find it difficult.

For the kitchen, I am thinking that a really nice Wilsonart counter would be fine.

Since the proceeds from the house are to be split five ways, upgrades won't net us each very much, but may make the house sell faster.

To what level should we upgrade the house? Do we need to replace the windows? Opinions please.

Thanks,

Diane

Comments (9)