SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

Bank now says they never offered 95% financing

newhomeseeker
15 years ago

So I made an offer on a house I found (being sold as is) I offered less than asking and the sellers countered at $2000 more than my offer. I had been talking to two different banks (preapproved by one) both told me that I am eligible for 0% to 3% down because of my great credit and first time home buyer programs. I advised them of the house I was interested in before I applied for preapproval and both banks told me this house would qualify for 95% financing. The highest downpayment I can comfortably afford (and pay my closing costs and all my inspections) and still have a little cushion for emergencies left over is a 5% down payment. I put this in the contract as one of my contingencies. Well BEFORE I accepted the seller's counter offer I called the bank I planned to use and the loan officer denied ever telling me they had a 5% program. Said I could use first time home buyer's (which this house does not qualify for as it won't pass strict inspections) or conventional w/20% down payment. She denies ever mentioning 5% downpayment loan.

I know 100% that she advised me of this program because I wouldn't have met with her for preapproval if this wasn't an option. WHen she told me how much I was preapproved for she AGAIN mentioned this loan as well as first time home buyer's loan program. The 2nd bank could be a mistake because the guy was on vacation and I talked to someone who was filling in for him. But now the 2nd bank is saying they NEVER offered anything less than an 8% downpayment. That they normally only do 20% down but that my credit is so good they could do 8% down. the guy kept recommending this government program that gives individuals $10,000 for a downpayment. I have a cousin who used this program years ago (she was making $6 hr at the time) and it is for people truly in need. I have money saved for a down payment and I do not want to use a goverment program that could be used to help someone who really has no other choice (the funds are limited). And this program requires that the house purchased pass inspections.

I don't know what to do because most everything in my price range is either sold "as is" or needs tons of repairs. But these houses don't qualify for first time home buyer's loans (which seem to be the only loans with low enough down payments that I can afford) I just don't know what to do!

Comments (18)