SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cziga

Need some suggestions for putting this project together ...

cziga
11 years ago

This is going to be part of a wedding gift for a friend who is getting married. I loved the interlaced squares as a wedding pattern, and it is a small but hand-made gift, which is exactly what I wanted.

This is the top (please forgive the awful photo, I was in a hurry):

{{!gwi}}

I'm in need of some help and suggestions on how to finish it though!

First, the details:

Size: 24" x around 16"

Colours: light blue, light purple, and a darker purple print (I loved this fabric, it is one of the ones I've been "saving" for a special project).

Batting: Warm and White needled cotton batting (it will be my first time with a cotton batting like this - our local fabric store was having a huge members sale a couple weeks ago so I took the opportunity to pick up some batting on sale, I got some of this cotton, and some wool to try them out!!)

Backing: I will probably use the lightest blue fabric from the front as a backing (I have a lot of it)

As you can see, it is not a rectangle but has angled edges. I'm not sure if this changes how you'd bind it?

1. Border? Should I put a border around this before binding it? I'm leaning towards yes but since it is not a very large project, I'm not sure if a border would overwhelm it? I'm assuming it would be a very thin border, if any. If so, colour? One of the colours in the pattern or a new one, a darker one?

2. Quilting? What sort of quilting pattern would you suggest? I want to do part by machine, and part by hand ... I'm not what you'd call experienced, so something fairly simple is in order here, nothing too complicated or advanced. Thread colour suggestions?

3. Label? I'm just not sure how to go about labeling it. I don't have an embroidery machine, and I don't have a printer that will print onto fabric. I searched the forum and found some good threads with some photos ... most seem to be printed though. I wonder what kind of markers I would buy if I wanted to write out a label? And how would I attach it to the quilt? Would I stitch it to the backing before assembling the quilt layers? I saw a couple nice photos where the label seemed to be sewn into the binding but I have no idea how to go about doing that...I do need something relatively straightforward, binding itself is still challenging for me, lol!!

Thank you for any suggestions :) It is a small project but I do want it to look really good for them so any thoughts would be appreciated!!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus