SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_parker4941

Deal going south

Rachel Parker
12 years ago

My husband and I made an offer on a 9 year old house that has been on the market for a year and a half. We are under contract. During inspection our inspector found rotted wood soffits under the gutters, disconnected downspouts, an old ceiling leak in the garage where the garage roof and front house roof connect into a valley. There also wasn't proper attic venting over the garage (per our inspector- I know it's a matter of opinion). We wanted 2 roofing estimates but were only able to get one. The new house is in our hometown that we are moving back to. We live 2 hours away. We ran out of time during the inspection period. To get another estimate my realtor had to call the listing agent to tell the seller to make an appt with a roofer. A potential buyer can't make a roofing estimate on a house only the owner can. Our agent didn't want to schedule 2 at the same time but wanted to wait to see what the first estimate was. So we sent a repair addendum to the seller's. They agreed to repair the majority of the repairs. Repairing and painting the soffits, connecting the downspouts, repairing broken windows and installing the radon system (level was high) but won't address the ventilation over the garage (says it's not needed). After talking to their roofer about the seller's estimate we found out that they had the same problems as our inspector found - soffits, downspouts, gutter seam leaking (our inspection didn't find that). The disclosure didn't list anything. The sellers' bought the house less than 5 years ago. The disclosure for Ohio states to list anything within 5 years. We feel if there are the same problems present as when they purchased the house the problems weren't corrected. We feel that these issues should have been disclosed. Their roofer said that the soffits only need repaired or painted but nothing about the gutters. We wanted a second opinion, looking out for our potential investment. The sellers refuse to let us have another roofer look into the problems. We were not present at any roofing estimate just the inspection. We feel that our only choice is to walk away from the deal. We just wanted reassurance that the problems could be taken care of and not reappear after a few years. Were we wrong?

Comments (8)