SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fairysoapgirl

what's the deal - sev, ev vs. dor in the south?

fairysoapgirl
16 years ago

Ok, so I have been doing quite a bit of reasearch about DL and I keep coming up with all kinds of conflicting information about the performance of Dormants planted in the South over the long run. My understanding is that DOR's need some winter cold to be happy and healthy.

Where I live, I get about three snow days a year, and about three individual weeks where we will get a 'cold snap' (ie. right around freezing temps for a week or so).

Now, I know that some of you are going to tell me to "see what is growing around me"... The only problem is, that there are no DL farms within driving distance and I am just starting this addiction, so I have not joined my local DL club (Dallas). Yet....

So, I guess my questions are:

How much cold is enough?

Do some/all dormants need cold temperatures to produce "ideal" blooms (aka colors, textures, forms, hights).

Do I have enough cold weather to make dormants happy?

I was hoping that anyone with winter temps like mine can tell me their experiences with Dormants... I know all zones are different, but what are your thoughts? Do I have enough cold to keep the DOR's alive?

Thanks for any info!!!

Michelle

Comments (12)