SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Dave! Mortgage vs. cash

marys1000
16 years ago

Dave - in a recent thread you posted a link with the thought that paying off a mortgage isn't always the best way to go financially. So that's if your already down the road in a home. Mind a couple of questions specific to my situation?

But what if your buying? Say you have the option of buying a small house cash, or something nicer for twice as much and a mortgage? (for example buy cash for 100,000 or buy with a mortgage; cash 100,000 and mortgage 100,000)

Factor in the fact that the potential buyer doesn't know whether they will be in the house as little as 2 years or possibly as long as 9 years. If an illness or something were to force the buyer to retire later - well then longer but not a planned option.

Midwest market, no appreciation.

Does cash give you more flexibility on how long you stay in the house? Or are closing costs, title insurance almost the same without a mortgage?

Doesn't saving on loan costs and interest equal what you MIGHT get in the market these days? Or does writing off the interest plus a few percent in a CD etc. come out ahead?

(I prefer to be conservative on what return can be gotten on money in the "market" as it has not served me well)

Thank you,

Comments (12)