SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doc8404

Oh Dave, emergency cash cushion - can it be too big?

doc8404
14 years ago

Question for anyone really.

We've often read here that building a strong cash position for emergency use is the first step to financial nirvana and, if you have to make a choice, do that as opposed to paying ahead on your mortgage. Over the years I've done that.

Recently, I remarried after being a widower for a long time. During the due-dilegence portion of our courtship (don't roll your eyes people, isn't that part of everyone's engagement? :)), my then fiance and I discovered we were of like mind and financial position.

Is there a point where it no longer makes sense to stash cash in the emergency fund? We both are approaching a year's worth of salary in the savings accounts. We each own our own places and both existing mortages are down to roughly 25% of the current market price of our homes.

We plan to sell both places, buy a different home together and finance it with a 80% LTV fixed mortgage with a 30 year term. We want to buy a home similarily priced to what one of us has today.

With our cash at the level it is, does it make sense to keep adding to it or can these funds be safely used for other purposes?

Comments please - thanks.

Comments (3)