SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suebreekay

Buyer wants to show home to prospective renters before closing

SueBreeKay
12 years ago

This may be long...I apologize in advance. We relocated from suburban Chicago to suburban Nashville when my husband was able to find a new job after several months of unemployment. We put our Chicago home on the market after we moved to Nashville, because we thought it would sell better without pets and children underfoot. We staged it nicely and were very pleased to have an offer on the third day on the market. We were able to negotiate a price that was 95% of asking and again feel fortunate. The couple that is purchasing our home is getting ready to retire in a few years and decided to take advantage of a down market to buy our house. They intend to rent it out for a few years until they are ready to retire. We've gone through all the inspections, etc. All contingencies have been removed from the contract. Closing is set for April 30.

My parents are in Chicago for the week for a wedding and associated festivities and I thought since the house is sitting there staged with beds etc. that they would be more comfortable staying there and could forego the cost of a hotel. This morning I get a call from my dad that he and my mom came back from breakfast to find a realtor in the house with a young couple. They said they were looking at renting the house from the new owners. My question is, can and should they be showing the home to prospective renters before the home is actually theirs? This is very disconcerting. I'm not only worried about the liability issues, but also upset that this was done without even scheduling the appointment, thus disturbing my parent's stay. Sorry this was so long. Any advice appreciated.

Comments (19)