SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happyintexas

My Living Area...Ideas please

happyintexas
14 years ago

I know several fellas who have fantasy baseball or football teams. They swap and play and pretend they are big league owners.

I want to do the same for my living room, lol. We moved the big heavy brown leather couches out in order to put up folding chairs for my son's graduation ceremony. After the party, I realized I love the look of the open room. I've enjoyed a week of not having the couches in there. I know I want to make significant changes....

It's a smallish room anyway....but if you were going to decorate this say in a streamlined cottage or traditional manner, what furnishings would you choose? Comfort and durability matter, but style is important. I'm the lone female in the family, but our sons are grown and mostly out of the house. I'm not a frou-frou gal.

I guess I'm looking to jump start some ideas.

I took these the morning after the party, so there is still some party debris out. What would you do with this room?

Comments (19)

• whenicit
    14 years ago

It is hard to tell the dimensions. Do you use the room to watch TV primarily? Could a small sectional work or a couch with one end being a chase and then an ottoman/coffee table?

It appears smallish so if you need to view TV it seems a sofa focused on the TV would work. Maybe another option is to put a chair on either side of the sofa (in a 'U') to make it sort of a conversational area.

My last thought was just using chairs - 4 chairs around a circular ottoman for example.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sectional Idea?

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

I would first take everything out of the room including the curtains. Then repaint the walls in a taupy beige that blends with the carpet. Then either get a new clean lined sofa or bring one of the original sofas back. I would do either Roman shades or wood blinds on the windows. I might try the large art piece over the fireplace. Keep items on mantle to just a very few pieces. I might want to replace the iron entrance table with a longer dresser. Those lamps and definitely that art piece are overpowering the metal legged table. Remove all the pictures from the top of any table. Keep things simple.

Just some ideas for you.

• Related Discussions

Can't live with my living room...Layout help please?

Q

Comments (12)
    justgottabme: Yes! excellent plan! The Tv needs to be in that corner next to the fireplace -- either mounted on the wall or sitting on a console or cabinet. Having a cabinet in that spot would anchor that whole corner. And more excellent ideas above too! Love the idea of bookshelves in each of the corners -- perhaps just try basic Ikea Billy shelving -- or other build-it-yourself shelves (try stores like Targer or Walmart)-- just to see if that plan will work for you? Or look for vintage shelving or bookcases on your local Craigs List! Swivel chairs can be found -- check your local Craigs List! But for now -- once you move the TV -- try placing one sofa facing the fireplace -- and another one facing the window -- forming the classic L-shape.
    ...See More

Formal Living Area Design Ideas

Q

Comments (5)
    I would find one or two large pieces of art for that wall. Then fill out the seating as calidesign suggests, so that people can sit facing one another -- be sure that the rug is large enough to encompass the whole seating area, and you might try to pick up some colors from your art to break up all the neutrals a bit. You could even make your second couch a bit colorful, with the art above it, so that the color and warmth is integrated into the whole space.
    ...See More

Finish my living room with me, please!

Q

Comments (26)
    First thing I’d do is move the rug towards the window, so couch and (eventual) large art are centered. Thought you might like this website. https://juniperprintshop.com/products/powell?variant=39701935816793 Because of the dining set and the need to tie both spaces together style wise, your inspiration feels too boho and also believe bringing in darker accessories will help connect the spaces. Grey couch is fine and with cushions, it will tie in better. I’d remove hanging plant and add a large plant (on left) and floor lamp on right. You may have room for two chairs facing window and the seating area would be more intimate and cozy. There are a ton of decisions and suggest before you start buying items, you’ve been collecting ideas to help achieve the look and a cohesive, balanced space (ie: coffee table is important/suggest something large).
    ...See More

Please someone help me with my living room.

Q

Comments (23)
    Really helpful info; you have a lot of decisions and my advice is to break them into chunks. The layout is first, which will determine size/type of furniture, to accommodate 6. I really think once walls are lightened and sheers are replaced with blinds (seating will create lower privacy). Having seating in front of windows won’t be a detriment and would be a shame to loose so much useful space, In order to close up the middle area, and get storage, consider a floating layout (less the chair at doorway) or add a couch/chairs, whatever best suits your needs. Find an app to test different layouts. A big decision is the couch/sectional style and color, as it’s your biggest investment and will drive everything else. With young children and being a well used room, I don’t suggest going too light and light walls will do the trick. Since you are comfortable with grey, still incorporate but go lighter and use soft earthy accents colors for a modern farmhouse look. Accessorizing comes last and pour through inspiration pictures and save for reference. Bring home things to test, but start with rug. Paint last. For your storage needs, take advantage of the back wall (try Ikea) and to balance the TV wall, add art and lower tv.
    ...See More
  • happyintexas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's interesting to see my room in photos. I certainly notice things like cords or stacked 'stuff' that I walk past every day. A good exercise to train the eye.

Thanks for the ideas....I'm processing...and looking for a smaller sofa to use.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Yeah, isn't it amazing and awful what a photo shows us? The minute I take a picture of a room, all of a sudden there are dust bunnies, or dirt, or cords, or some other terrible booboos jump out at me.

On my monitor, your carpet and your wall colors aren't doing each other any favors. I'd be inclined to paint the wall a nice beige (lean brown not yellow, not pink), as Threegrad suggests. Or if you like your wall color best, I'd rip out the carpet and put in hardwoods.

I can imagine a nice settee/loveseat/sofa in there, and also a single chair, perhaps a wingback. I'd make a grouping in front of the fp and tv.

I think the lace curtains can work if you're going for a totally antique look, and in the winter they might be an under-curtain. But unless you have antiques all over, they might not work so well.

• gayle0000
    14 years ago

Streamlined cottage or Traditional are 2 very different things to me. I'm struggling with visualizing furniture, but here's what sticks out to me as-is:

I think the fireplace is confusing. The molding detail in the white fireplace doesn't go together with the country sunflower/birdhouse look, and neither the molded fireplace, nor the country mantle decor go with the round ironwork.

I like the yellow walls generally, but I would feel more soothed if the color was a single color, and not a treatment.

Darnit...my kid is summoning me & must attend to that. Will come back later!

• htnspz
    14 years ago

As others have said, I would take out the carpet and put hardwood, I would select a different paint color for the wall.
    I would center the painting on the wall with the console because right now it's off centered. I would place a mirror over the fireplace to make the room seem larger. Also, I would consider a smallish sofa diagonal across from the fireplace with a table behind it(because it's always uninviting to come into a room to the back of a sofa).

The painting that's next to the TV looks unbalanced. The tv and the fireplace are fighting for the focal point of the room.

Most importantly, take most of the accessories out of the room. It's just adding clutter.

• happyintexas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The carpet is cheap builder carpet. After nine years of teenage boys, dogs, and a gardening mama, it's shot. I'd love hardwoods...something warm, rustic, and on the darker side of medium. Thoughts?

It's eye-opening to see my place through your eyes. I knew the room wasn't working, but couldn't place my fingers on what. I was blaming large, heavy furniture.

What I'm seeing through you is the wall color and carpet don't play well together. They probably did when we moved in, but the wall color was cold. I needed warmth. I'm not opposed to new wall color now...the current color and treatment were my post 9/11 therapy.

Nor does the fireplace surround work with my relaxed, Italian-themed stuff...In fact, the fireplace and my stuff are at war.

I love the idea of removing everything and just looking at the space again.

So...hardwoods and a new fireplace surround (I could put the cast stone one in my bedroom as a mock fireplace, I think, so it wouldn't go to waste.)...in the living area...stone, brick, or a simple wooden surround maybe? Thinking, thinking, thinking. I'm headed off to look for inspirational photos.

Thank you for thinking with me. I sense a summer project coming on. GRIN

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I think a floor plan to scale, with dimensions, would make it easier to help with this.

• les917
    14 years ago

Hardwood flooring would be nice, and I would be sure to straighten out the edge that is by the kitchen - at least in the pix, it appears that the tile and carpet meet and have an angle right in the middle - I would make that a straight line. Better yet, if you could run the hardwoods into the dining area of the kitchen, I think that would add a cohesiveness to the space and make the LR feel larger by eliminating that cutoff.

I would move the tv (and cabinet, if you are keeping it) to the wall where the console table and lamps are now.

I would (if there is room) place two upholstered chairs (with wooden legs for a lighter feel, such as a bergere or wingback style) by the windows on the one side of the fireplace, with a small table and lamp between them. I there isn't enough room for two chairs, then one and a table and lamp.

I would get a smaller couch or loveseat and run that, with a sofa table and lamps behind it, on the wall where the TV is now.

A leather or fabric ottoman in front of that will act as a coffeetable as well, and additional seating if needed.

I would change out the mantel to something in slate ( and the hearth in slate, too) and a relatively simple wood mantel. Have sconces wired on the wall while you are making the change.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Posted by: "What would you do with this room?"

So if I am understanding this "girl's fantasy football" it is not about how you use the room for your family and needs. It's all about ME! Right?

What I would do is..........

Take out the ceiling fan. I think they make a small room look smaller, and are annoying when they are running.

I would paint the ceiling in two tones to accent the recessed area that it has in it. The horizontal would remain white, but the vertical area of the ceiling would be painted a much lighter version of the wall color. This would help the room look larger and more airy. That ceiling is a great architectural feature that is being hidden right now.

I would remove the TV from the room. I don't watch TV. I don't own a TV. I hate TV. If another family member insisted on having a TV in the home it would be relegated to a rec room in the basement. That's just me and I know most people don't feel that way about TV.

I would paint the walls a solid color. Sponge painted walls make a room seem smaller and look messy to me. I hate Yellows - especially when paired with White painted trim. For this room I would choose a grayed out pastel paint saturated with pigment.

Assuming I had an unlimited budget, I would put in wood or bamboo floors. Carpeting and a fireplace in the same room look 'off' to me. Wood floors are easier to clean too. I would get a nice rug of course to throw down in the room.

I would remove every tchotchke and every fake flower and fake plant. I don't do tchotchkes.
    I would not have anything blocking the doorway and would remove the short little endtable. I would eliminate the counter overhang that can be seen from the kitchen, either by removing it, or filling it in underneath with shelving or cabinets. The counter hanging out like that without having stools to go with it, looks odd and make the space seem not as open as it could.

I would get an apartment size couch that has feet or legs on it to make it seem more light and airy. Something curvey yet tailored, in a solid color. Maybe a Queen Anne with natural muslin. Nothing in leather, or overstuffed, or velvety and puffy. It would be angled to face toward the fireplace and windows. Opposite it would be Ghost Chairs.

I would KEEP the curtains! I love how they are hung inside the window to filter light. Even though they look to be lace they do not look frilly or 'old lady-ish'. They add a light touch with intricacy, that the room needs to balance with the ornate fireplace.

I would shop for wall art. One large frameless piece. It would be something that 'spoke to me' when I saw it.

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

I agree with Dilly Dally's idea of the smaller couch or loveseat with legs that make it lighter in appearance. I'd face it with two armchairs with open (not upholstered) arms and with cabriole or curvy legs. I'd put this at right angles to the fireplace. I like the curves of the fireplace and they could be echoed in the curves of your new furniture.

Your son graduated? Hooray! Now that he's going off to college, you can get rid of your heavy leather seating and gigantic telly and make the room lighter and brighter :). Tone down the paint so that the walls recede and put some of the wall decorations on Craigslist and I bet it
    will make a huge difference right away! (Not only are your living room walls full of "stuff" but other rooms' stuff is visible from your living room and it all adds up to too much!) Have fun!

• dorothy9_gw
    14 years ago

I agree with all the suggestions except removing the ceiling fan. It is very hot in Texas during summer months, I lived there more than 25 years, so I would replace the present one with plain white and a more updated light kit if you need one , otherwise a fan without a light kit.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Excellent thoughts and suggestions above:

For a fresh and total change:

1) Remove everything -- and see the room "naked" Measure everything -- and write it all down. Take lots of photos from all angles. Next -- consider your options and dream a dream of a fresh classic room. Do some research on sofa styles and sizes (or chair ones ...) and check them against the naked room.

2) Fresh paint!

3) Re-style the fireplace.

4) New carpeting OR flooring. IF at all possible -- perhaps consider moving the new floor into the kitchen area ...

5) Flat TV with stand would work so well in this room. OR -- investigate the possiblities of having a flat TV above the new fireplace. If not -- then consider adding a sleek new wall unit to house the TV (and all of its necessary components and wires)

6) I really like your Tuscan artworks -- and those would still work well with a sleeker-styled room. Perhaps the larger artwork would work above the new fireplace?

7) How about adding a small sectional? I've included a link to Pottery Barn's small sectional -- JUST as an example AND for possible measurements against the room.

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Here is a link that might be useful: PB small slipcovered sectional

• kittypawz
    14 years ago

Ok, I am thinking cottage style. This will be a bit of a change but I believe it is the "look" you are going for.
    First,upgrade to a wall mounted flat screen TV. you will no longer have use for the tv stand and thus, will have a bit more space. Place a small white wall shelf directly under the tv to set your dvd player.
    get a small white couch to place diagnally, so that it is directly across the fireplace. I would add one accent chair to the right of couch so that it is across from tv. An area rug. Switch the light/fan fixture to something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100469453&N=500192+4294949112+90401

The family photos that are on the little table between the 2 lamps, I would place in matching white distressed frames. Leave one on the table and the rest I would arrange on the wall over the little wooden table that is currently to the left of your tv.
    For paint, dark colors close in, and light colors open. I would leave the faux in the breakfast nook but repaint the family room section. Try Ivoire or Blonde from Sherwin Williams. I would use a small stand(as in pic 2 below) instead of a coffee table.
    Here are some cottage style living room pics for inspiration:
    http://www.countryliving.com/cm/countryliving/images/Living-room-Christmas-HTOURS1205-de-84402526.jpg

http://www.countryliving.com/cm/countryliving/images/English-Country-Modern-Livingroom-RENO0407-de.jpg

Hope that helps!! :-)

• OKMoreh
    14 years ago

I think that the fireplace would play nicely with your Italianate things if it were not so bright and white, In fantasy, I would faux-paint it to look old (it could only be in fantasy if I were the one doing it).

Without a floor plan it is hard to tell what is feasible, but in general I agree with using only a short sofa or loveseat (or a settee, depending on where you want this to fall on the traditional scale), plus chairs with legs. If the large painting stays where it is, a weightier piece below it, such as the one that the TV is on, would provide balance; the console table could be used as a sofa table.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

If you are off to look at pictures, did you look in our gallery? The Living Rooms thread, the Dining Rooms thread, and the Cottage Decor thread are three that come to mind as ones you would love.

If you see a pic you like, save it to a folder on your desktop. Then when you're done, you can go back through those pics and try to see what they have in common that you like. You'll also get some good ideas of color schemes you like, and styles.

You asked light or dark on the wood floors. If you go with something more in the middle, they show less dirt. Incidentally, I got a great deal on my floors through Craigslist. You might try that, or if you want referrals, try Angie's List. I agree with Les that if you do all those floors the same, it will do wonders for your space. Then you can use rugs to define your separate areas.

This thread has me shaking my head because some people seem to be referring to furniture that I don't see in the pictures above. I wonder if I'm losing it?

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

How much do you use the room, what for, and how much tv watching do you do as a group?

• wishnwell
    14 years ago

You have some nice antique pieces in there, and they need to be seen (move the TV off the library table). And if I'm not mistaken, that's an antique child's rolltop desk that everyone thinks is a small table? If it is, I'm thinking maybe the pictures above it are distracting for such a charming small piece but I can't just now suggest where you could put it or what would look best above it. Maybe it needs to be in a bedroom or smaller room somewhere where it can stand on its own.

I agree with okmoreh that you might want to try a glaze to pick out the carving in the fireplace and tone down the whiteness of it.

I have no problem with yellow walls/white trim (have them in my living room and they "sing" to me), and I'd be careful about getting too many "legs" in the room...there needs to be a balance between hard and soft. Many decorators use large and heavy pieces quite well in small rooms.

Get your floors...you'll have everything out of the room then...and just put back the essentials till you figure out the flow of the room. You can take your time filling in the holes.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

I agree with much of what has been said. Here are things that stick out the most:

1. I love the fireplace and windows. I think those will be the room's main assets.
    2. I would replace the carpet with hardwood, but I'd add an area rug.
    3. If possible, I would remove that overhang from the kitchen.
    4. I think the paint you have will look a lot better once you get the hardwood in, but since you are starting over, I'd repaint for that reason. Color . . .TBD once you figure out the room as a whole.
    5. Once you remove at least 50% of your accessories right now, the room is going to feel better to you.
    6. The TV is tricky-- ideally, it would be out of the room, but if it is the main function of the room, I would probably get some discreet (low) armoire to go on the same wall where you have it. The style depends on what the rest of your room is . . .I have seen some in cottage-style rooms that are amazing . . .they do not look like big, hulking boxes (that everyone knows is hiding a TV anyway), but actually ADD to the room. If you want that style, I would think something antique or vintage that is repurposed would work well . . .but I'd be careful not to get something very deep, which would mean a flat panel.
    7. I think your biggest challenge is not the size of the room, but the fact that there is no obvious place to put furniture that won't interfere with the traffic flow, since there are so many entrances. I agree that a small sofa + a chair or two would be your best option.

At this point, before I made any other huge changes, I would do what oceanna suggested and look at the gallery, magazines, etc. for inspiration pictures. That way you will get to put YOUR stamp on the room.