SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
latimore_gw

Help with countertop decision - soapstone vs. butcher block

latimore
14 years ago

I would appreciate your help and insight as I make a decision about countertop materials.

Here is my kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

Last summer I had trim added to the perimeter cabinets, had those cabinets, walls and ceiling painted, added a light fixture over the kitchen table and had some other electrical work done, and had a new hood installed.

The island top will be soapstone, apron sink, etc. I am considering painting it a gray/sage green (it has not been repainted yet - I have the paint but not the courage!).

Where the refrigerator and microwave are will be floor-to-ceiling built-in cabinets (from door frame to door frame) housing both of these things plus storage (maybe a second oven instead). This would be painted white.

On the other side of the room on the wall across from the range (beyond right side of photo) there is a bookshelf/basket cubby thing on the side of the kitchen that I built with unfinished bookcases and MDF. It is painted white, and will have an IKEA butcher block top.

The backsplash behind the range will be white subway tile. Appliances will be replaced as they die with stainless steel. This is an old farmhouse, built around 1880. We are a family of 4 with two little boys under 6.

It's the tops on either side of the range that I can't make a decision about. Either soapstone or butcher block. Here are some of my pros and cons:

*Soapstone costs about 10 times what IKEA butcher block would cost - is it worth it to put that much money into a countertop for old cabinets? (DH says SS could probably be reused if we ever replace those cabinets, which is probably true.)

*Worries about durability of butcher block in these areas (heat resistance, etc.) - soapstone would solve these problems

Butcher block is so cheap that I could do it first and live with it for a while and if I hate it, replace it later, and I wouldn't feel like I was out a lot of money. This is how I am leaning based on the beautiful BB countertops I've seen here, but I am wondering if I will regret that.

Any thoughts? (Or other suggestions - not countertop related - are also welcomed too...)

Thanks so much!

Comments (2)