SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethv_gw

Victorious! 9 outlets! New plumbing, switches & no linoleum!

bethv
16 years ago

Hooray!! (And, "Boy am I sore!) We've gotten the awful, dirty hard work done and I just have to share what an amazing DIY partner my DH is! This a totally DIY - Here's the accompishment list so far:

1. Went from only 3 outlets in the ENITRE kitchen to 10!!

2. Moved all the light swithes, added 2 & rewired for 3-way switches.

- The 2 above meant that the circuits had to be reconfigured so we didn't blow fuses.

3. Replaced all the shoddy, wacky plumbing so we could move the DW & have sink cabinet space. (During the work week DH put in a looong night to finish so the water could be turned back on.)

4. Repatched the ceiling (no more waves!)

5. Moved the 220 electric across the kitchen.

6. Removed brick back splash & side wall.

7. Removed wall around double oven.

8. Removed the linoleum & subfloor to prep for hard wood.

9. Moved a heat vent & closed 1 off.

1. Kept the sink and DW hooked up!!

So, it's been pretty much a non-stop job for the last month. DH & I divided up the duties - I'm the spackling/carpentry Czar & he's the plumbing & electric Over Lord. All the electric meant we had to cut channels in the existing walls. They turned out to be wall board - topped with masonry board - topped with a coat of plaster. So the channels had to be cut out with a rotary saw, saved and patched back in... you cannot imagine the dust!! And of course none of it was really all that flat so working in new pieces was a b@*!ch. Lots o' layers & resanding. (At night I actually shop-vac'ed my hair!)

Yesterday DH pulled up the floor while I prepped trim & windows. Boy did I get the sweet end of that deal! I had tried earlier to get the linoleum up but it was SLOOOOW going so we decided to pull up the subfloor underneath it. (This is where I curse the previous owners who built the house.) The subfloor was secured with 10-penny nails on the perimeter of each plywood sheet, ring-shank nails every 3 inches, and a row of screws down the middle!! There were 44 ring shank nails in a 4-foot square! Most of the sheets were 4x6 so the porportions get a bit Biblical. Prying them up was @*!*&* - involving pry bars and long pipes and cursing - but DH conquered all despite the bad back. If there were a Congressional medal of DIY Honor I'd be nominating him. Since there isn't, I'm using this forum to recognize his valor and stead fast resolve : )

Comments (4)