SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
corypollock

snookums pool plastering

coryp
16 years ago

hi snooks, was this plastering fiasco with your new pool? i'm in the middle of a deal with elite environments and i was waivering between a kerber color for my pool and a pebble tec color. wondering if i sould just stick with the tec... i'm assuming if we're in the same area, it'll be the same contractors.

Posted by snookums (My Page) on Thu, Jun 28, 07 at 14:34

We had our spa plastered three times. The third time it was done because the 2nd plaster finish was so sloppy and uneven due to all the chiseling out of the old plaster. We did make them come in and recoat the gunite in spots so that the third time the plaster would lay evenly. (Called "browncoating") This was not normal protocol and we had to threaten to sue Kerber Brothers to get it done right. What was said before is right - once a plaster job is redone, it's never as nice as the first time.

If it were me, if I could live with it, I would not pay for plaster at all and just keep it. If you absolutely want the different color, you need to be on top of them at every moment during the job to ask about this spot, or that spot, or filling in any voids with browncoat (which has to be done a day or two before plaster). The third time around both myself and the job site supervisor stood over the plaster guy for four hours - literally - to make sure it was perfect. I told them before I started that I was going to be extremely picky and I was not going to go away until it was perfect - and they understood but it took a long time to get there (months). I sat in a chair at the edge of that spa until it was done. And that was only the spa, not the whole pool. And if were you I still wouldn't pay for the full amount, just for your hassle. Plus you will need to refill the pool, and start it up again, etc etc etc.

It's obvious the builder wants you to wait 30 days in hopes you will change your mind...

Comments (4)