SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosemaryt_gw

So let me tell you about my flight to NY, NY

rosemaryt
15 years ago

My husband and I had this big discussion about whether to hop in a plane, train or auto for our trip from Norfolk (our home) to New York City (to see his son graduate college). The husband didn't have much leave time, so we opted for a plane; fly in and fly out. We left Wednesday afternoon and returned Thursday evening (last night).

The outbound flight was scheduled to depart from Patrick Henry airport at 5 pm on Wednesday evening. At 4:45 pm, the pilot comes into the waiting area to report that a FIRE ENGINE has run into the plane, causing light damage to the wing. He explains that the flight will have to be canceled, unless...

...Unless we're all willing to fly to Baltimore where there's a part they can install to fix the plane. We're *promised* that this will take less than 30 minutes - or maybe 40 tops.

The passengers grunt and groan and finally agree to go ahead and board the plane. We were supposed to take off at 5:00 pm. At 5:30, the pilot annouces (to all of us now-seated passengers) that the "paperwork is taking longer than we planned, and just another minute or two."

I hate it when they lie.

At 6:00 pm, we finally take off and it was a goofy trip - just up in the air to maybe 12,000 feet in altitude and then we start down again. After all, we're not 200 miles from BWI. No time for drink service.

On the ground at BWI, a maintenance truck meets our flight and in 30 minutes, the repair is complete. We were all relieved. Then we sit for another 30 mintues, waiting "for the paperwork" to be finished.

Finally, at 7:45, we have taxied and are waiting to take off from BWI. Then the captain announces, "Folks, we have a bit of a delay here. We've lost our spot at Laguardia for landing so we're going to have to sit here about 30 minutes or so and wait for a new spot."

I couldn't believe it. The non-stop 55-minute flight from PHF (newport news) to New York ended up taking almost four hours (not counting the one-hour drive to the airport from our home and the two-hour wait at the airport!). We got into New York about 8:45 pm. It was a 35 minute flight - (Baltimore to Laguardia) once we were actually FLYING.

Gosh, I really don't like New York but the graduation was nice.

Coming back home, we had more delays caused by the heavy run-way traffic at LaGuardia. Clear skies, good wather, no problems - just an overcrowded airport and too many planes and too few runways.

We left the gate eight minutes ahead of schedule and then sat on the tarmac for ONE FULL HOUR waiting - in a long, long line - to get to the runway. Once in the air, we went through severe weather. Very nauseating flight. The pilot announced, "I've just turned on the seat belt sign. Please find the seat nearest to where you may be standing and sit down and buckle in NOW."

I handled it really well. I sat in my seat and wept. Sigh. Too much frustration and upset and turbulence for me. I've flown on probably 35 flights in the last five years, but this was the most violently turbulent I've ever encountered.

We were back at PHF (Norfolk area) in less than 50 minutes, after take-off.

The one-hour flight coming home took about two hours (not counting the two hours we sat at the airport, waiting to board).

Next time, I take the train.

FOr all the time "saved" by flying, I'm thinking that if I can drive it in less than eight hours, driving is better.

Rose

PS. The link below is interesting. Another story on why airlines are less fun than before!

Here is a link that might be useful: Less spare fuel on plane could be trouble

Comments (9)