SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momali3

advice needed on kitchen layout

momali3
16 years ago

I've read with interest the forum on whether or not people are really using their prep sinks. Do most of you who have prep sinks have two disposals? Two trash bin pull-outs? I'm just at the designing stage. Kitchen about 14' wide and technically, 20' long, but some of that at the end of the kitchen is a passageway between Great Room and outside door or from kitchen to the informal eating area. The actual working area of the kitchen is probably 15 x 14, and I thought to have the cooktop and clean-up sink opposite each other with island between, with a prep sink in it. Baking center on the same bank of counters as cooktop. So I could envision working at either range or baking center--or peeling and rinsing veggies at prep sink--and not have far to walk for either activity. But the frig pretty much has to be on the 3rd counter wall in the U shaped kitchen. The center of the cook top and the clean-up sink opposite are approximately 6' into the work area. So the frig will be about 6 or 7' from the locations of cook top and main sink opposite. I'm wondering if that will be an awkward location? I had considered putting the prep sink at the refrigerator end of the island, actually a short distance from the cook top and very close to the baking center. I suppose I need a disposal and a trash bin pullout at both sinks? Please comment on my location of these areas. The main, clean-up sink is on the Great Room wall, open to the Great Room, raised snack bar opposite it--raised so that dirty dishes and pans won't be visible from the Great Room-- but of course with that area being open, the cook (me!) will be able to participate somewhat in activities in Great Room. We're empty nesters but entertain a lot, and when grandkids and their parents visit, I'm thinking that snack bar will be super. I would love to scan and then post a copy of my proposed layout, but I've not been able to figure out how to post pictures. Any advice about THAT--as well as my kitchen arrangement--would be helpful. Again, just now at the designing stage.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH