SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mindtrick

Pool Remodel in progress-is additional electrical cost reasonable

mindtrick
14 years ago

I am in the process of remodeling my pool. I am adding a spa along with replaster/tile. Also involved is replacement of approximately 1700 sq ft of cement decking.

The bid included the electricity for the new spa, which necessitated digging a trench from the electrical panel to the equipment, approximately 60 feet long.

Once the demo was done, and the existing concrete was removed, the contractor suggested it would be a good time to replace the electrical lines for the pool itself (pump, heater etc).

I was quoted a price of $2,300 for this (Southern California), which seemed somewhat high to me considering that most of the labor involved would already have been done to accomodate the spa electricity. When I expressed this to the contractor, I was told that this is the way he prices, by the job, not by how much time or material it may cost him. Is this standard?

I agreed with reservations because it did make sense to upgrade the lines now instead of possibly having to do it later and having to excavate the concrete to get to it. Although I think this is something he could have anticipated and discussed prior to the bid. I dislike being upsold.

I feel like making him fill in the existing trench that he dug once the spa electricity is complete, and then redigging it for the pool electricity to "get my monies worth" but I realize this would be quite childish.

So am I unreasonable with my thinking and need to be hit with a 2x4? I really need to shake the idea that I was taken advantage of.

BTW, this is a $50K project if that makes any difference in your answer.

Comments (7)