SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lola99_gw

Hand piecing - encouragement/advice needed

lola99
12 years ago

IâÂÂm going to try hand piecing and IâÂÂm a little nervous! I need a take-along project for lots of travel this summer and I decided to try the wheel of mystery/winding ways pattern. I really like how it looks and I figure if IâÂÂm going to go to the effort of hand piecing, I would like to do something that has curves.

I have my pattern drawn on paper, and tonight or tomorrow IâÂÂm going to make my templates. I was going to ask you all about whether you make your templates on the sewing line or include the seam allowance. Then I found this old post about hand piecing and I see petalpatsyâÂÂs post (4th one down) that I should make the template including the seam allowance. It makes sense to me that would allow me to cut more fabric at once, but the idea of not having a line to sew on makes me really nervous.

I think I need to just relax, and go for it. IâÂÂm sure it will not be perfect, or even close to perfect, but I suppose this is how I will learn. If you have any additional tips, please let me know!

Thanks,

Lola

Here is a link that might be useful: hand piecing post from 2009

Comments (8)