SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peanutmom_gw

Need some encouragement, badly!!!

peanutmom
15 years ago

The good news is that I finally know what style my house is, the bad news is that my frustration level is through the roof- literally.

We started on our roof last summer, and had to stop due to weather. We thought we had everything sealed up tight. I'm guessing that the wind storms we got might have had something to do with the leak we found yesterday. I came downstairs to find a wet spot on my kitchen ceiling. I kept thinking that it couldn't be the tub. I finally got DH to go upstairs and remove the access panel to check. When he did, he said we had a leak, but it wasn't in the bathroom plumbing. We had a leak in the roof that was running down DD's closet wall and onto the kitchen ceiling. Needless to say DH spend about 2hrs up on the roof patching the hole and the rest of the afternoon tearing soggy old drywall out of DD's closet. Normally I would help, but I was downstairs babysitting my two nephews and trying to keep DD (who is 2) from beating up the boys for playing with her toys. I'm not sure which of us was more stressed out. After all of this was done, we ended up with three sacks of wet insulation and soggy drywall. We now have 1/4 osb covering the holes in the closet wall and ceiling, hoping it will dry out so we can fix the mess soon.

I know this doesn't sound like the end of the world, but we have been dealing with my being laid-off and my husband having scarce work due to the shortage of landscaping jobs. I'm getting frustrated because we don't seem to finish anything before something else goes wrong. I'm ready to scream. We have a garage full of drywall to work on the bathroom downstairs, but we can't get to the work of ripping it out. (We don't like doing that when the kids are here due to the danger of lead paint.) And we have a garage full of roofing materials that we can't put on because 1. my husband works when the weather is nice, leaving only rainy days to work on anything. 2. we no longer have access to a manlift/ awp to get the materials where we need them. (The roof has a 11/12 slope on the sides and this isn't somewhere I want to climb even with roof jacks) 3. DH and I are doing all of this ourselves.

The only room in our house that didn't need tons of work was DD's room and now that needs the closet gutted, and redone. I don't know much longer I can deal with all of this. We haven't even been able to get to finishing the trim in our bedroom downstairs. Probably better any way because the drywall cracked everwhere we used fiberglass tape.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I might think this is funny in 20yrs. but now it is a huge headache.

Comments (6)