SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

I need some encouragement, please. :(

aimeekitty
13 years ago

Hi, everyone! I really appreciate all the advice you guys have given, and I feel like this is my favorite friendly general garden forum, so I'll post this here.

I started my garden this past December with a blank bit of clay land. Around January I planted a bunch of stuff including a LARGE camellia from my local nursery. It bloomed and was happy. And then a few months later, the leaves started to turn yellow and fall off...

One person at the nursery said I was watering too much, so then I stopped watering it. It kept declining, so I took a branch in again and the other nursery person said that it wasn't getting enough water and that I should water for a long time (at least an hour) about once a week. I switched to that and the camellia immediately perked up. At this point, I thought I had "beat the problem" and was really relieved.

but a couple weeks later it started to sharply decline again. and then I had to go out of town for about half a week. I was about ready to give up. I just didn't know what else to do for it other than getting someone to come out to my house to look at it and I wasn't sure that was possible. :(

Today, on a whim, I checked our drip irrigation system to see if that was the problem. Well, all the other parts of the yard seem fine... but the drip system for the side with the camellia had NO WATER GOING AT ALL. It's probably been like that for weeks and I didn't know. :(

At this point, my poor camellia has no leaves and some of the outer branches are dead (I clipped them to see.) I watered it long (about an hour) with the hose this morning.

I'm not sure what else I can do.

I have the landscapers coming out to fix the irrigation, but is there hope for my camellia?

I feel like I've killed a butterfly. But I guess it's not really my fault? Now I feel like I can't trust my irrigation system, even if they fix it. *__* :(

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH