SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

Saving badly roses with root systems badly damaged by gophers

harmonyp
11 years ago

I should show pics, but everything I've dug up so far I've put right back in the ground surrounded by hand made gopher cages.

I've looked up Rose Root Anatomy, but give up trying to use right terms. I've seen anchor roots, tendrils, hairs, crowns, arms - I don't know what is what. It looks like arms come from the crown, then tendrils from arms, and hairs from tendrils.

I do know this. In most of the roses I'm replanting, any root thicker than what I'd call a hair root is chewed off. Most of the roses though, do have small hair like roots coming off the base of the root stock - about 4" long, maybe 30 or so - not sure if these are feeder roots or not because they are sure not coming from arms as most have no arms left? Some have thicker roots coming off the rootstock, but even of these, none are longer than 4" or so, and have clear chew marks at the ends of them.

Anyways - what are my odds of saving these roses? I'm keeping them very wet, and not freaking out with significant leave loss. None have lost all of their leaves.

Probably doesn't help that I'm doing this in 100 degree heat, but if I wait any longer, they'll be goners.

17 replanted, a little over 60 to go, and only about 1/2 those in areas with current gopher activity. Roses get first priority, then the rest of the companions plants...

Trying to be optimistic, that the rest of this year the garden will look like $#%@$#, but next year it will be beautiful again.

Comments (13)