SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akkw

Relo company buying our house

akkw
17 years ago

This is all new to us so any info you could give would be extremely helpful!

My husband was hired for a job in a city about 550 miles from where we currently live. It's a government job so his paperwork won't go through for a couple of weeks yet, so we aren't yet connected with the relocation company and therefore can't ask questions about how this all works. We were told that he would receive services of a relo company (Cartus) who would purchase our home and help with the move and closing costs on whatever we buy.

Here is my dilemma. He starts work in early July and we hope to be able to purchase a house in the new city and be moved in by that time, as the new school year will start in early August for my kids. Since we haven't been connected to the relocation company yet and therefore can't get any info as to how it all works, can anyone supply more info on their own experiences? If we start working with them in mid-May, it is unrealistic that we could expect to be able to purchase something (i.e. have them purchase our house so we have the equity out of it) in time to be moved by early July?

Do the relo companies require you to market the house before they purchase it? In our case, since we bought the house as a foreclosure at rock-bottom price (low $300k's, which was about $100k below an appraisal done at that time), we'd be delighted to just get the company to purchase the house at the appraised price and not have to market it. In our location, the appraised price today should be about the same or slightly more than the appraisal done in 2004 that was $100k over what we paid -- some local improvements have caused land values to rise (we have an acreage). How long does it take for them to determine what they will pay us for it? How do they determine the price?

Since all of this is happening so quickly I am just freaking out! I just want to get moved, and get my kids settled in their new home, but I can't imagine how things are going to move quickly enough for this to happen. If anyone can share their own experiences/opinions it would be very appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (12)