SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrfs_gw

Almost ready to sign contract. Thoughts?

mrfs
15 years ago

Hello all,

We are in the process of planning a pool construction. We never really planned to build a pool, and only decided to do so very recently because of the therapeutic benefits it might have for our 3 year old son. In short, the decision was made a few weeks ago, and we know absolutly nothing about pools.

We have a REALLY small yard, 33 x 35, so we decided to make a rectangular pool to use all the available space as efficently as possible, also to be able to install an auto-cover.

So it will be a 22 x 16 rectangle, easement to easement, I don't think I can put it any closer. It's is 5 feet from fence, wall, and house, not a lot of deck space (barely any). It has a non- raised half circle spa in it. 3.5 to 6 feet deep. Thinking about regular white plaster, I like the clear look and wasn't crazy about the texture of pebble-stuff. I do also like darker waters, but PB told me the darker we go, the more chances of blotching. Since water color is not the most important to us, we rather save for other things, so we are sticking with regular white.

I have received 3 quotes (well 2 really, one was just a verbal estimate, not going with that guy). Didn't seem to find too many builders.

By the third one, I knew a little more what to look for and ask for, and the PB offered a deal that I don't think I would be able to get with the others. I'd like to know what you guys think.

Basically, I buy all the equipment myself, directly from his suppliers at his price (I've checked, they are really good prices, cheaper than any internet sites I've seen), so that he doesn't have to add his 20% margin on the contract. He likes to use Hayward, I understand some of you don't like their products.

I also have to pay for all permits and inspection myself, (up to $1800, if it goes over, he takes care of the difference).

He also put me in touch with the auto-cover guy, so I have to pay them directly.

So, I pay him only for the construction of the pool, tiles and coping (and all plumbing and electric), then buy all the parts and pay him to install them. He says it will be much cheaper for me like that since he has to add 20% to everything he buys himself.

Equipment is as follow:

Hayward 400k heater.

Hayward 1.5 hp 2 speed pump

Hayward 325 Cartridge filter

Hayward/Goldline aqualogic plus automation system w/ salt cell & aquapod remote.

Hayward colorlogic LED lights. (Don't really need a light show, but it's only a couple hundred more for the LED)

Swim Jets and 3 pumps (Don't know brand yet, could also go with Badujets)

Coverstar hidden Auto-cover w/ encapsulated rails & matching coping.

His part of the deal for construction comes to a little over 30k.

My part for all the equipment is about 20K...

The cover alone is about 9k, and the swim jets are around 5k, the rest is heater,pumps, aqualogic etc.

SO at the end, I should have a 22 x 16 rectangular heated salt water pool, with automatic cover, swim jets and spa, everything automated, for ~$50k.

Other estimates ranged from 45k to 55k, witout auto-cover or swimjets, so I think I'm actually doing pretty good. (We are in West Los Angeles, not a cheap area!). This is without any landscaping or fencing. I still have to plan for that.

I have not signed a contract with this PB yet, but did tell him that I would sign with him. Now I am not 100% sure as I was, since a couple things are worrying me about this PB/Company. The Company is Designer Pools by Bill Smith, located in Palmdale, if anyone has experiences with them, please share!

The PB is actually a nice guy, and seems to know his stuff, willing to work with me, and I generally have a pretty good feeling about him, but I don't find him very responsive. It sometimes takes 4-5 days to reply to simple questions in emails, and takes a long time to come back with a new price everytime we add or change something. Hard to reach by phone (almost never picks up, but does call back later). He did tell me that he priorizes people with builds already in progress, and will be the same with me when we start the dig. He is also the build surpervisor and comes on site everyday during the project, so he says.

He's also willing to add $300 a week discount for every week after 8 weeks that the pool is not completed, says it will take them 6 weeks from dig to swim.

He also gave me a list of only 10 recent references, I was able to get in touch with only 2 so far, but they did both give glowing reviews about him.

One of the big thing that worries me, is that the company itself only has a B with the BBB. Out of the 4 complaints they received, only 1 was resolved, 2 refused to resolve, and 1 unanswered if I read this correctly. The BBB does say that a B is not a bad rating, but one of the other company did have a AAA rating (California pools).

Am I being overly paranoid here? I'm read so many horror stories about builds gone bad, and really can't afford to find myself in one of those situations!

I really don't like the fact that the final payment is before the pool is 100% finished, it's something like 30-30-30-5-5, with the first 30 due at gunite, and the last 5 being due at plaster. I understand it's standard, but is that negotiable? I'd really like to pay the last 10% when the pool is filled, prepped, and ready to swim in. Wife says if we have to pay 100% before completion, she won't sign. Says it's crazy!

Also another thing is, I really want to get a pre-inspection from the city, so that they can tell me exactly if everything my PB is telling me is correct (like the power line right over the pool is fine), but I found out that in order to get an inspection, I have to present a plan and have permits pulled! Does anyone in L.A have experience with that and knows a way to get an inspector before pulling plans and permits, or is that the same everywhere?

So that is where I am at this point, longer post than I thought it would be, but I am very curious to hear your thoughts, advices and suggestions!

Thanks!

Comments (12)