SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phxownerbuilder

Phx Owner/Builder seeking design feedback

phxownerbuilder
14 years ago

We are about to begin an Owner/Builder pool adventure in the Phoenix area. I havenÂt done this before, but have studied the fantastic howibuiltmyownpool.com site and this forum extensively.

I would LOVE to hear feedback on my pool design  What could be problematic? What would you change? Etc.

One thing to note: WeÂd like to keep the 5 existing (~10 year old) Ficus Nitida and Shamel Ash trees and build the pool as close as possible to them. WeÂll keep the pool/deck will be at least 5 feet from each trunk, but I anticipate that the excavation will have an impact on the root systems. We are concerned about future tree root growth harming the pool shell and/or deck, not to mention whether or not the trees will survive. Any insight into this would also be greatly appreciated!

HereÂs the basic info: (havenÂt decided on equipment yet, but not looking to do in-floor cleaning)

Gunite pool with pebble interior (mini / sheen)

Perimeter: 102 ft.

Surface Area: 618 sq ft.

Depth: 7'6"-5'-3'6"

Max Length: 32' 9"

Max Widths: 26' 6" and 22'7"

70 sq ft. Grotto/Waterfall (14'W x 5'D x 4'6"H) w/ submerged boulders (require rock pockets in WF area)

Bottom of grotto roof rock 2 feet above water; top of grotto roof rock 3 feet above water surface

Jump rock on the left of the grotto at 4'

Interior of Grotto will have a 4' W x 1'6" D bench

Waterfall to have 3 different cascades. One over grotto, and one curving around each side

Decking: 750 sq ft. new deck (Acrylic Lace or Pavers)

450 sq ft. top existing patio with same deck material

Baja step: 18" depth

Artificial rock at tip of Baja Shelf to have a fountain spouting up from middle of rock

3' Diameter Round Table with a 36" deep footwell

Umbrella Sleeves: 3 (2 in pool)

Basketball Sleeves: 1

2 Deck Jets

1 - 400W light (or 2?)

Thanks for your help!

Comments (7)