SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

Good Things Happen in Crazy Ways...

ttodd
15 years ago

Secretly I am an optimist and always find the good in any situation beyond my/ our control.

For awhile now we've needed to make repairs on our old full front porch but every time we've had the money something big that required our immediate attention has come up that took all of our saved porch monies.

It is a stone foundation 100+ yrs. old and one corner needed redone and a column was splitting. I had a mason out last spring to get an estimate on the repair and in the course of conversation decided on a radical approach: Demo the foundation and rebuild. The estimate was $5K for the foundation alone! Since it didn't 'need' done we scrapped it.

The column looked worse than it was - it appeared split in 2 vertically but was assured that it was actually an easy and inexpensive fix.

The porch floor at that end needed replaced.

Fast forward to this morning: We heard a terribly loud BOOM and I figured that there was an accident at the intersection that we live at. I looked out the window at the intersection but didn't see any cars in it but saw a Jeep speeding away. I assumed they clipped a park car and kept going until DS1 shouted "MOMMY! Someone just hit our house!" I said: "OK buddy - no more Crazy Taxi game for you!" (the game he was playing). Then I looked out our front door and low and behold 1/2 my front porch and wall on that side was a mass of rubble, stone, wood and a bumper!

HOLY COW!

Neighbors came running from everywhere! They all said that there was an argument in front of our houses involving 2 cars that escalated. The Jeep took off, hit a neighbors van, careened across our front yard, took out the porch and kept going. The cops caught them very quickly but the other car was left empty in the street.

After all the info came back it turns out that it was a domestic dispute gone WAAAAYYYYYY bad. According to the police he apparently tried to kill her in the street, pulled her out of her car into his Jeep and was going to commit a kill her and then himself but in the process hit our porch slowing him down enough for everyone to call the police and stop it.

Whaaaattttt?! On my quiet street on a Sunday AM?

So: a life got saved, a man went to jail and I get a brand new porch rebuilt that I couldn't afford the way it was meant to be!

So when it is built I will be sure to come to you all to help me pick that blue ceiling color that so many of us our fond of on this forum!

Comments (37)