SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisarfuller

Dealing with a seller who has a better backup offer

lisarfuller
11 years ago

We found an awesome 1945 stone Cape cottage that's been on the market for 2 1/2 years with no offers. It's in great condition and we couldn't believe our luck finding it. We put an offer in, got a counter offer, accepted and signed into contract. I guess a few days later someone else put in a backup cash offer for 3k more than our offer. We are getting an FHA loan , but we're putting 20% down. The owners do not live in the house but have a grown son that lives in the house with his family. During the inspection the son argued with the inspector over his recommendation to replace the windows (they are original), and the fact that the house is listed as having a working gas fireplace and was on the disclosure as working, but the inspector could not find a gas line even connected to it. He was crazy- yelling and telling the inspector to get out of his house. We asked for only the repairs that were safety issues to be fixed, as well as the fireplace. We got a big "Rejected" on the addendum. Then we get another addendum saying that they're not fixing anything or doing anything after the appraisal so we should back out. We want this house, but their agent has told our agent that they want us to back out so they can take the backup offer. We're going forward with the appraisal with a wait and see attitude, (it's already bought and paid for), but what we expected to be stressful has turned into something worse. It's not a warm fuzzy feeling dealing with people like this! If we have to pick another house, how does that work with financing? Do we have to start all over from square one? My fear is that if something pops up and we would need an extension that they would just use that to back out of the contract so we're mentally preparing to move on. We've already paid about 1000 in fees so far so we feel like we should see it through a while longer and see what the lender wants fixed and see if it appraises out. We would fix the issues ourselves, but we worry about how any workers would be treated, and we're worried that if we do that the next guy gets stuff fixed for free if this contract goes south. Any encouragement or like experiences? I'd love to hear-

Comments (37)