SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarschlos_remodeler

Can this be done?

I have this rather awkward space off of our family room -- the laundry is in a deep closet 3 1/2 feet wide (inside the wall) X 6 feet long. In addition to that we have an adjacent area that currently houses a wet bar we never use that is the same width and depth, giving us a 3 1/2 foot wide by 12 foot long space to work with. Currently, our guest bathroom is in a 6 foot by 8 foot space next to the laundry closet. The problem is that our side door, which has the only side entrance to our garage and access to our garbage cans, is in the bathroom. I would like to convert the laundry closet/wet bar area to a bathroom and use the current bathroom as our laundry/mudroom. My question: if I use either a pocket door or an out-swinging door, will I be able to fit a toilet, small shower and sink in a 3 1/2 wide by 12 foot space? I am thinking that the shower and toilet would be on either end of the room, with a small pedestal or wall mount sink in the middle. Is this too tight of a space, or can it work?

Below is a rough sketch of our current floor plan so you can see the area that I'm talking about.

Comments (14)