SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacey_mb

Book of the Week

stacey_mb
10 years ago

Notes from a small island / Bill Bryson.

Among the books that I read, I most enjoy those with humor. Bill Bryson is a very entertaining writer who visited Britain from the U.S. in 1973, eventually moving there for several years. In this very humorous travelogue/autobiography, Bryson describes his travels throughout Britain and reminisces about the experiences he first had while traveling and working there. He also observes the changes he finds since he first arrived and rambles over other British topics with lively commentary. The book was the winner of the 2003 World Book Day National Poll to find the volume which best represented modern England

The first few pages contain one of the funniest scenes in the book as Bryson describes his first arrival in England at Dover, and his experiences with accommodations and with the people he encounters. He also comments on his ignorance of all things British, âÂÂEverything that lay before me was new and mysterious and exciting in a way you canâÂÂt imagine. England was full of words IâÂÂd never heard before - streaky bacon, short back and sides, Belisha beacon, serviettes, high tea, ice-cream cornet. ⦠I was positively radiant with ignorance.âÂÂ

While Bryson is sometimes irreverent in his descriptions of the country and its people, he also pokes fun at himself. The day before he was to return home to the U.S., he hears of job openings at a hospital and he is hired to work on a ward of psychiatric patients. On his first day of supervising the patients, he returns from a search for antacid to find that all the patients had disappeared, to which he has to confess when telephoned by the head nursing officer! Fortunately for Bryson, they hadnâÂÂt âÂÂescaped,â but simply relocated following (unknown to him) normal hospital routine.

He closes the book by saying how much he appreciates Britain, âÂÂIâÂÂve said it before and IâÂÂll say it again. I like it here. I like it more than I can tell you. And then I turned from the gate and got in the car and knew without doubt that I would be back.â A really fun read. Bryson has written other very entertaining travel books, such as about the U.S. and Australia but so far, none about Canada, unfortunately!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm