SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwer2007

Calling all kitchen designers and everyone else

eleena
12 years ago

who cares to read this post.

And you are free to call me crazy and ban from this board forever, but I am still going to ask this question.

I have been having a very hard time envisioning my kitchen and I now know why.

The IKEA thread took me to the IKEA website and I looked at the kitchens. I have seen them IRL in other people's townhouses and loved the look but I have never considered them as "too modern" for THIS house.

Our house is sort of traditional/transitional "Acadian" style with high ceilings, arches and rich trim work while I am an MCM addict. :-(

The latter part is not quite relevant except for the fact that ALL my furniture (most of which is from DWR) is lightweight and has "streamlined" legs, there is nothing heavy on the floor.

The kitchen has been made by the previous owner to have an "Italian feel" with an arched brick cove around the cooktop and (pretty skillfully) crackled cabinets. I sort of "played along" by suppressing my longing for Bertoia chairs and getting bentwood Thonet furniture instead.

There is a breakfast area in the kitchen (that btw has glass double-doors going to a small "courtyard").

Here is the link to my kitchen set chairs:

http://photos.tradeholding.com/attach/hash239/112623/bentwood_chair_13.jpg

and here is a table similar to mine, except that mine has a larger top and the same color as the chairs but is always covered by a white table cloth to create a "cafe look":

http://photos.tradeholding.com/attach/hash239/112623/thonet_table_2.png

And this is the lamp over the table(the larger of the two lamps on the pix and in white, not metal):

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/porter-pendant/?pkey=cpendants

We have a galley-like kitchen though it is not a "true galley" because one side has a long 7' peninsula that separates the prep/cooking part from the breakfast area, with the other 8' run of the counter is next to the outside wall with a window (this is where the sink is).

The brick cove is on the other side. The design is quite flawed as the kitchen looks pretty spacious but has hardly any storage space.

So, I am going to move the fridge next to the cooking area, replace base and upper cabinets next to it by a 48" wide pantry as well as place a tall cabinet on the other side of the cooking "cove". That is, it would become a "wall" of cabinets, separated by the brick cooking area, though not all on the same line as the pantry will be somewhat "recessed".

The cabinets on that "wall" don't need "legs", I *think*, but I have just realized that I really-really wanted cabinets with legs on the other wall/peninsula. That is why I couldn't quite picture the kitchen with "regular" cabinets.

I don't know why but I think I can make the IKEA free-standing cabinets work, if I stain or pain them, get different wooden (not laminate) doors, and not use any of the tops but put a soapstone or slate counter over after "grouping" them.

PLEASE tell me it can be done - or explain why not.

Thanks for reading this! Sorry, I might have had a little bit too much wine tonight...

Comments (24)