SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samana

Kitchen layout - enough walk space?

samana
12 years ago

The framing is now done, so our kitchen designer gave us his latest based on real measurements. Tonight I'm up way too late changing it a bit.

I increased the island from 33x90 to 36x96. On the left side we originally had 12" deep bookshelves on the ends and an open space in the middle, enough for some wine bottles and to put pet dishes on the floor. But we decided it might be nice to have two stools there instead, so I made that side 15" instead. Because it is so open to the top (dining area), I added six inches to get slightly more storage.

My main concern is that there will now not be enough walk space around the island. The paths are now 3'10" instead of almost 4', assuming 1" counter overhang on all cabinets, including the island. Will we really notice that 3" while moving around the kitchen?

Another issue is the hood. We have a 36" 6-burner range top and he thinks the 42" hood may not look right on that wall. The hood will vent directly outside with an external motor. If we get one with sufficient cfm, will a 36" hood be enough?

Lastly, he keeps putting in a 39" sink. I'd much rather have a set of 18" drawers because I feel a 36" sink cabinet is more than enough. We'd be looking at a 32" long sink, which I think would be sufficient especially given we will also have that prep sink.

Thank you in advance for any and all comments! I really appreciate everyone's time.

Comments (16)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Quick, late night comments.

I think 46" between island and range wall will be fine. I have slightly less than this and find it very spacious. The aisle on the far side of the island looks like a pathway from one room to another. That space might be pretty tight if folks will regularly sit in the stools. Without knowing the rest of the house's layout and what the cabs behind the seating are for though, I'll leave it at that.

24" per stool with bookcases at the end might feel closed in and could pose some maneuvering issues getting in and out of the stools when seating more than one. Consider your stool width and style (arms vs armless, for example) carefully.

I'd rather use a 36" cleanup sink base myself, especially considering you have a prep sink. In fact, I did (32-33" super single silgranit) and am more than happy with the cleanup sink size. Be sure not to go any smaller than 15" interior width on your prep sink. Its usually recommended to decide on your sink(s) *before* cab orders are placed.

Side question, why isn't your DW placed immediately next to the cleanup sink?

As for the hood, I agree that a larger hood might look odd on that short wall. Whether or not a 36" hood will work for you depends on many factors: rangetop BTU output, your style of cooking, and the hood's CFMs. From my research on the Appliances forum, capture area (hood width AND depth) seem to matter more than CFMs to those helpful, geeky science/techie guys. Good luck!

• bill102
    12 years ago

Your KD may want the 39'' sink base because of the sink you picked out. Get the cut sheet for the sink and see how it is mounted. The mounting clips (even though you don't see them) need room too.

• Related Discussions

Walk in shower advice - is this wide enough for it to be open?

Q

Comments (24)
    I understand that. The waterproofing from the curb to the tub would be installed prior to the tile. Orange is visible. If it is Kerdi membrane it can not be installed on the plywood. What waterproofing is on the tub deck?
    ...See More

Oddly shaped kitchen - enough space between cabinet walls?

Q

Comments (40)
    @suezbell: No countertops along that one wall (that's a window to the outside, not a pass through) as it will become a breakfast nook... so there will be a table facing the long built-in bench, and two chairs opposite... leaving space for the fridge to open. Tested the veggie drawers etc in the store, looks like it will behave like the old fridge and come out. Great point about the bathroom vanity... So I measured my largest pans as well as other appliances like the instant pot, deep fryer, etc (as the new unit will also need to store these) and after reading all your feedback I'm thinking I should do 18" cabinets opposite the stove. This allows for a 45" aisle. At the moment, my regular pots and pans fit into two 21" (inner depth) x 30" (outer length) drawers. So I'm hoping they might all fit if I turn the entire bottom section of the new unit into storage for pots/ pans/ appliances. Something like 3 sections (24"/ 30"/ 24") of double pots and pans drawers.
    ...See More

Best Kitchen Layout for limited space and kid in wheelchair

Q

Comments (19)
    Google kitchen design for wheel chairs. There is tons of info. Your son will soon be in a larger wheelchair and want to be able to do things on his own so this design needs some very serious thought. 60” is the requirement for spacing where you need walkways islands don’t usually work well unless you have a huge space.
    ...See More

Best layout for this kitchen/living space?

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi, thanks for the fast response! The photos should be posted now, for some reason they didn't work properly the first time around. It is a remodel, but we are basically starting from scratch.
    ...See More
  • User
    12 years ago

If the 24 inches/stool at the island feels tight, won't the same be true for the stools at the sink counter? Looks like they're about 24 inches/stool, also, plus there's a wall at one end.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

If I were you, I thnk I would pull the island closer to the cleanup sink so that the walkway behind the stools has more room. I have 42" aisle between my island and my sink and I find it VERY large. I think 3'10" would be too large if youre prepping at the island and carrying to other locations. This would allow you to have extra clearance behind the stools which I think you will need. Breezy is right about the 24" rule. I also have a similar layout and I only have 50" between my refrigerator and the edge of the island. I have a side by side ref, but it is definitely enough room. Hope that helps!

• laxsupermom
    12 years ago

I would move the island towards the cleanup sink, too. You could shrink that aisle to 40" giving yourself 52" on the walk through / stools side. I also wonder why you have the drawers between the DW and sink. I would move the sink to the left next to the DW creating more space between the cleanup and cook zones and the possibility of larger drawers.

It looks like a great space. Looking forward to seeing your kitchen plans develop.

On the island, I'd prefer the bookshelves at the top of the island facing the dining area. The 30" next to the ovens is a nice space for a mixer, but for rolling out cookies, I'd use the island and I could see getting flour and random schmutz all over the books on the shelves by the ovens.

• samana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. A couple of answers.

Yes, the path between the wall oven wall and the island will be used as a path from the front of the house to the dining area, living room, deck. So if people are sitting at the island, it may be an issue. I will say in some ways I'm thinking more of my children and imagine it as a space where they can be to help prepare dinner. We will definitely look for stools that can be pushed under the island as much as possible, another reason I'm looking at a 15-16" overhang. Thanks for the tip on the 24" rule and the minimum size for a prep sink!

The DW is where it is because we have a lower island height (33" with counter top). In fact, we plan on having a raised DW where the top will connect with the bar surface - creating a small serving area.

That 18" between the DW and sink is a trash cabinet. Because the DW is raised, I kind of wanted a bit of counter space to the left of the clean-up sink. But we're talking right now about whether or not we can have space between the DW and sink (concerns about DW draining into the sink from a distance) so that may change. And I haven't picked out a sink yet, so I'm glad to hear 36" works well.

I like the idea of making the aisle between the island and range top a bit smaller. I guess we'll want it just big enough for two people to get around each other. We're planning on putting our dishes in drawers on the island, across from the DW, so a bit closer would help with that as well.

I had been thinking of doing a wood counter top on most of the island, but doing granite (24 - 30") at the end away from the refrigerator for a baking area. We were going to use closed book shelves on the island. My husband thinks it would look cleaner - and I guess it would also help keep them cleaned.

Thanks for all the great comments!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Could you put a narrower pantry area, all along the wall behind the stools? This would give you plenty of storage but also lot more room for people to walk behind the stools.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Sorry, that should say 'shallower' pantry area...maybe 12" deep? That would give you 4'10" behind the stools :)

• rosie
    12 years ago

I'm sure this is mostly a redux, but:

Put more space where others walk, less on the work side. We're empty-nesters, and I am glad I put 35" between work island and stove counter, i.e., you have lots of room to play with there.

We have a 36" cooktop with a 42" custom-designed wood hood set between windows over. The hood does not look large. In fact, with the rather massive look that's been so common this past quarter century or so, it's on the light side. I like true colonial proportions, so I like it, but take that into account.

We have a single-bowl sink with inner dimensions of 29" wide and 9.5" deep. It's big. It can hide a holiday meal's worth of pots, pans, plates, etc. It sounds like you're looking at a double-bowl, maybe, which would be wider, but these days it's easy to go overboard. We pretty much maxed out the diminishing returns on ours.

• angie_diy
    12 years ago

I am concerned about the distance between sink and range. A lot of your prep work will happen there. In my experience, 27" is not enough.

• User
    12 years ago

I'd prefer to move the fridge across the aisle next to the wall oven and put the range on that shorter wall. It's too close to the sink. I'd also want a MW under counter next to the prep sink where you show the books. Then do a wall of shallow pantries across from the seating so you can actually walk past to the powder room or fridge while someone is sitting there.

• windycitylindy
    12 years ago

I agree with Angie and hollysprings. That's a really limited space between the cooktop and sink. You really have plenty of space available, so I'm not sure that it would be to your advantage to have those two quite so squished together. I would suggest putting the refrigerator where the wall ovens currently are and scooting the wall ovens over. Then the range could be centered on the section where the refrigerator is currently planned to be.

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

and, if you like Windy's and Angie's and hollysprings idea, that would make your kitchen very similar to mine in terms of layout on the main "L". Have you seen my finished kitchen?

Here is a link that might be useful: My finished (or almost finished) kitchen

• samana
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brianadarnell, what a beautiful kitchen. I would have never guessed your floors are oak, I particularly like them.

Well, I'm definitely going to narrow the distance between the range and the island. If I go 42" there, I get about 54" on the other side.

The other things, I'm not sure I can change. If we put the refrigerator next to the wall ovens, we won't have a place to put anything we just take out of the oven, or a place to set a glass or something we take out of the fridge.

I see that 27" isn't a lot of space near the range, but my intent was for most of our prep to be on the island itself. Also, I now realize, I hadn't thought much about it because I've never had a kitchen with much space around the stove! Funny how our past experiences shape how we look at things. Anyway, I may try to bring the island as close to the refrigerator as possible, so as to make the island prep space closer to the range. And I guess I'll end up using the corner space as well.

I think we're pretty close on this. Thank you so much everyone!

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Your island and the end of the run next tot eh cooktop -- where the fridge is now as well as the cabinets next to the pantry all provide landing spaces within a pivot and/or a step or two. That works for me.

• User
    12 years ago

Exactly! The island is your landing spot for both fridge and stove. Putting them side by side will really help with the too cramped space between the sink and range. 27" isn't enough room. You don't have a small kitchen, but your layout makes your kitchen work smaller than it really is because you have two of the major elements too close together.

The rule is, when you have two overlapping spaces, such as your cleanup and your range landing space, you take the larger of the two measurements and add 12". In your case, that would be the 24" recommended to be next to your cleanup sink, and adding 12" to that is 36". You want at least 36" between the two. Moving the fridge to be more accessible to your snackers and to make room for the range on that short wall will really improve the workflow without any sacrifices on your part.