SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_parker4941

Bringing a real estate agent in late to negotiate new constructio

Rachel Parker
16 years ago

I have a question. My husband and I have done all the groundwork and research regarding purchasing a home through a local builder. We have been through the design center and have gone through all our options to lower the price to see if the builder is willing to negotiate and lower the price any. Well we haven't been in the model home with our real estate agent, haven't mentioned her to the sales agent. Yesterday we sat down with the sales agent in the model home and gave her our best offer (355,000)and told her why we were offering that. There are newly built houses in the neighborhood that have sold for that in the past year (Same model, same visible options) and what other builders in the area are offering. We got a call from her saying that she could sell us that house for $25,000 more than we offered and make the contract non contingent of selling our house. They have come down 8% on the total price, including any incentives and taken off the special financing rates that they offer (we would have to pay our own closing costs and buy down points). When she called I said that I should give my real estate agent a call and try to negotiate this and look over the contract. Her response was that she couldn't involve our real estate agent this late in the game. My husband and I are in a hard spot because we can't go up any more than $10K more. It seems that a real estate agent would be able to help with the process. I know we should have had a real estate agent involved from the beginning but we thought we could save a little money. We brought this up to the sales agent and she said that they don't give a discount for not having an agent. But why can't we have one now when we really need one? Is there some rule or is the builder trying to make the most profit? The sales agent said she would lose her job if she included our agent in the deal.

Comments (30)