SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soosano27

1st floor layout - opinions please! Be kind!

Susan Okimoto
10 years ago

We are nearing the end of our design phase with our architect and I was looking to spot any glaring mistakes, especially in the kitchen. We are a family of four, with two young kids (4 and 6). I imagine the island will be used for casual eating as well as homework, food prep, junk clutter (my husband sincerely hopes not!) and dishwashing. We are considering the Kohler Stages Sink. We will probably reuse our Viking Range, which I sort of dislike, our current fridge, which I also dislike and our dishwasher, which, huh, I also dislike. I figure we could replace all these things later, as they currently work ok. All cabinets and counters will be new. I can't seem to find an area for a microwave, which I use a lot. The Kohler sink takes up a lot of space on the island, and the dishwasher and pull out trash will pretty much use up all the space on the working side. I am hoping to get slim cabinets for the seating side for rarely used items. Also, I am 5' tall, so putting the microwave up high is not quite workable for me (as it currently is). My husband is concerned about food storage and the left side wall will have a pull out pantry and, I think, is enough space for the coffee makers, toaster and some extra counter space too. Is this too far away from the work area for a counter microwave?

So... is this a decent layout for our needs? We cook often, but healthy and nothing complicated. We entertain maybe twice a month, and usually with only a few others with kids so it's very casual. My husband occasionally bakes bread, but he's mostly on cleanup. He hates clutter and I create it! There needs to be enough room to store everything away! Finally, the layout shows a wall on the island, presumably to hide the sink clutter that always accumulates, but I think I like the look of one large piece. Will it look terrible when the dirty dishes are in the sink? Sometimes we are lazy about putting the dishes away immediately. I've read tons of comments about the single bowl large sinks and how to work around these issues. Actual money spending (aside from the thousands we have overspent on the architect) is right around the corner and I am starting to freak out about the multitudes of decisions we will need to be making. I am leaning toward white modern upper cabinets, grained wood lower cabinets, white quartz or soapstone counters (haven't priced anything yet), and half wood on the island/ half quartz or soapstone with navy cabinets. Too much going on? NOTHING is decided yet. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

{{gwi:1774467}}

Comments (35)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH