SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bri29_gw

Layout help/words of wisdom please?

bri29
15 years ago

Hi all! I'm just starting to think about my kitchen remodel in my 1960's ranch home. My home is rather small >1100 sq ft total with a 100 sq ft kitchen. It's a galley, running between my garage and my dining room. Currently I'm not thinking about revamping the appliance locations as they work for me, but I'm definitely open to suggestions. One of my major goals is to gain counterspace. To that end, I've been thinking about pulling out the full height pantry on the right side of the kitchen. I also think this would open up the visual flow a little to make the kitchen seem more connected to the rest of the house. Am I nuts?

I'm drawn to the clean, crisp lines of white cabinets with dark counters, but I'm concerned that I'm going to go overboard with my little kitchen. Most of the inspiration photos I've seen have been of a wide open, bright, gorgeous kitchen. I worry that the dark countertop will be too heavy in such a small space or that the overall effect won't be in keeping with a small ranch home. I'm not what you would call an interior designer, so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Other relevant info: We're a one cook family. I have a dog and a cat, so I need for the surfaces to be relatively easy maintenance. I bake a lot and cook most every dinner at home so I need a decent amount of storage space, but I've still not maxed out the organization/capacity of my current kitchen so it shouldn't be a huge issue.

Thank you so much for your help!

Bri

Current- Please forgive the mess:

First try at a layout:

{{!gwi}}

White cabs/black counters- :

{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)