SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scootermom_gw

Suggestions for kitchen+mudroom layout?

scootermom
16 years ago

Ok. After a few months of design paralysis and then another start fueled by the fun of using Excel for drawing, I've come up with a new proposed layout for my kitchen remodel/expansion + addition of mudroom and homework room.

Some background:

House: 1960s 4BR Split-level, modest size, nice neighborhood but not flashy.

Family: Also nice but not flashy -- me, DH, 3 kids ages 4, 8, 11.

Our style: Very simple, warm, cheerful. We are about function and simplicity. Entertaining is very casual, often w/ groups of 15-20...very often outside. We eat in our casual dining room and throw backpacks on the kitchen table (hence the new mudroom).

Our needs: Materials that are easy to clean and maintain as well as indestructible and disaster-proof. We are cluttery. We cook 3 meals and snacks at home, from mostly fresh ingredients. I love to bake; DH loves to grill outdoors.

What I like about existing kitchen: bay window for watching the world go by (quiet side street, yet still interesting).

What I hate about it: old cabs, broken oven, pantry too deep, not enough storage for dishes, crockpot, etc.

Existing:

{{!gwi}}

Proposed (red lines just show kitchen dimensions; blue dotted line demarcates addition to the right):

{{!gwi}}

What worries me about the new layout:

1. Too much space between island and bay window?

2. Mudroom entrance at driveway...is that weird? We'd have a front door (on left where FOYER is marked)and a kind of funny door near the driveway. Two front stoops. Architect thought of that one. I don't love it, but I also want it to be easy for the driver to run in and out of the mudroom and haul groceries in easily.

3. Low priority, but...no improvement to dining room...still kind of ill-defined and blah.

I would so much appreciate your comments...suggestions, improvements, red flags, etc. Thank you!!

Comments (6)