SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Update #3

marilyn_c
12 years ago

This is sort of like two in one. I will call it:

Gertie and the killer bees.

(*Remember please no legal advice...or advice in general. I am just telling you what happened...I'm not asking for advice.)

Late last October, I was on my way to town. When I got to the crossroads by the highway about a mile from where I live, I saw a dog laying in the ditch. For some reason, this is a popular dumping spot for dogs and even cats. I found 3 of my dogs (counting this one) in this exact spot, and two of my cats. You can't see a house in any direction.

I got out of my truck and walked up to the dog. She didn't acknowledge me in any way. I could see she had a wound on her right side.

Since she didn't respond to me by wagging her tail...just looked at me...I was afraid to just pick her up. I went home and got one of those plastic crates you carry animals in.

When I came back a few minutes later, I didn't see her anywhere. Finally saw that she was out in the middle of an adjoining hay field. I took the crate and she let me walk up to her. I talked to her and put the crate down and she went right in. That surprised me.

We never did figure out how she was injured. On the opposite side, on her shoulder blade she had another, slightly older wound.

I named her Gertie. She was such a nice little dog...and not old. The vet said maybe two years old. She was in bad condition but you could tell she had belonged to someone at one time who really cared about her. She is the nicest, quietest little dog I have ever had. House broken...no bad habits. If you want her to get in a crate...put it in front of her, she will go in. I had her scanned to see if she was chipped....she wasn't.

I confess...I am more of a cat person, but Gertie became my constant companion. She went everywhere with me. Not long after I got her, my friend killed her husband and I went to stay at her house, and Gertie went with me.

I got to looking at Gertie, and she looked familar. Not really a Jack Russell...similar. I looked at terrier breeds on the internet...she looks just like a Parson Russell terrier...which is a leggier dog than a Jack Russell.

This is Gertie right after I got her and the other pic is a Parson Russell Terrier.

Parsons (like Jack Russells) usually have the tip of their tails docked, and Gertie hasn't but I found pics of some with undocked tails and her tail is just like them...they kind of curl up.

Anyway, we couldn't find a spay scar on her, so figured she hadn't been spayed, but with my husband not working, had to put it off for a little while.

About three weeks ago, she came in heat. I was diligent about watching her. There is only one dog around here that runs loose, and he is usually just turned out at night, so he was the main one I had to watch for, but she is never out at night.

I had tied her to the front porch. The tie out was like a leash, but much longer...maybe 20'. I had put her out for maybe three minutes and I heard her yelping. I rushed out there, thinking a dog had gotten to her...found her under the steps, covered in bees and bees swarming all around her.

I broke my wrist almost 3 years ago. Despite surgery, it healed badly, and I have little flexibility in it. The bees were stinging me too, and I couldn't get the snap to open. I rushed back in the house and the first thing I saw was a pair of scissors. I went back out...and I couldn't get them to cut the leash. She was howling in pain, and the bees were all over me too.

About that time, my husband returned from town, and he tossed me a knife and I cut the leash. She took off across the yard and into the woods.

Bees were all over the front porch, so we were trying to get around to the back door. (This being the new house...the old house we are working on). The bees were all over my back and my husband was trying to brush them off. He kept telling me to run...but I have worse knees than he does...I can't run.

We got to the back door...up 7 steps...the pet goat was being stung too...and she and a chicken, and one of my other dogs, Jan, almost knocked us down getting inside. Once inside, we had about 100 bees still stinging us. We went to the sun porch...but they followed. My husband remembered we have a propane mosquito fogger, and the back room is being used like a storage room for tools, etc. right now, so he got the fogger and fogged the bees and I got a fly swatter and was killing them with that.

We got them pushed back off of the front porch. They went to a swarm in a nearby small tree. He wrapped rags around a pole and soaked in gasoline and burned them. The next morning there was still some of the swarm left and he burned them, and the next day...there was yet another swarm in another nearby tree and he burned them.

I was stung at least 3 dozen times. He was stung less, but many times. I had stings in my arms, chest, back, back of neck, nose, under my shorts (ouch!) The goat was so freaked out that when we got the bees off the porch, I put her outside, a fly landed on her face and she freaked out and ran back inside. I said, "what the hell....it was traumatic for everyone...it isn't like we are really living in here"...so I let her spend the night inside. The chicken went out.

Jan didn't seem to have but a couple of stings and Zelda, the other dog, was asleep in the house and missed it all.

When we were being stung, all I could think about was a lady in a nearby town who was killed last year by killer bees who attacked her while she was riding her lawn mower.

I am stung by wasps (mostly) several times a year. I have never had any kind of reaction, and didn't this time. We had no benedryl or anything. My husband went to a neighbor and got some...mostly for Gertie...but I couldn't find her. He didn't have any reaction either, so we didn't take any benedryl.

I read that reactions can be delayed as much as two weeks...and a few days later, he broke out and had itching at the site of the stings. Mine didn't even make tiny pimples, but as far as I know, I'm not allergic to anything..from pollen to poison ivy (knock on wood)...although I know the next time we might not be as lucky.

We went looking for Gertie. I knew she wouldn't come back home or come to me when we called. She was too traumatized.

She had ran into the woods and it is so thick, you can't walk through it for the brush, wild roses, briars of all kinds. We drove all around looking for her, but it got dark and we didn't find her.

The next morning my husband got up and went for coffee and found her laying in the ditch on our road.

She was very sick...and didn't eat for two or three days. Took her to the vet and her liver and kidneys checked out okay but she had a UTI. With medicine, she has recovered completely. I can count at least 20 scars on her head. Her ears were caked in blood where she had dug at them.

I don't know if it was related to the stings...I couldn't find any more info on late reactions, but about 10 days after that, my husband got very, very sick with a UTI. He ran fever of 103.6...and maybe higher. He is just now getting over it.

I thought I had a picture of Gertie and me (Nita took it when she was here in January), but I can't find it. Maybe Nita will see this and post it. I hate the picture...it just shows how old and ugly I am...but it's a cute pic of Gertie. Here is a picture of Gertie when we were staying at my friend's house.

Comments (33)

• colleenoz
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Poor Gertie- and poor you and your husband. I am glad you have all come through such a dreadful ordeal, I don't think I'd have been thinking straight if I was being stung by a swarm of bees. I was badly stung by one wasp once and hallucinated all night.
    Gertie is so lucky you found her (both times). I wonder how she was hurt the first time? I can't imagine dumping a pet no matter what the circumstances.

• lydia1959
    12 years ago

I love wirey terriers like Gertie!She is a cutie! The bee experience sounded horrible for everyone, glad to hear all is well now.

• Related Discussions

Blechnum gibbum, update 3.

Q

Comments (3)
    I don't think yours is doing anything abnormal. I think its just growing like they do. I have to prune lower fronds off mine all year long even in extremely high humidity. I have seen these get larger than 4-5 ft max. That's just a generalization. Like "this banana will only get 8 ft in a container". All bets are off when something gets planted into the ground under year round conditions that it likes. I have plants that were supposed to max out at, say, 6 ft that are 10+. My old stands of heliconia rostrata that were supposed to max at about 12 actually maxed closer to 18 ft. You could walk under the pendant blooms without them touching your head
    ...See More

update: obf update #3 tiz party time...let us celebrate this wo

Q

Comments (28)
    Jeanne-I really enjoyed the party, the month of May just flew by. I will definitely remember this for the rest of my life, my great grand kids will hear this story I'm sure. Promise-Happy Birthday if I forget closer to the actual date. Our group is much richer for you having joined the group. So many winners in this swap month, congratulations to all. And Annie you made it all possible, thank you again. I have the month of June so will work on it tomorrow and post it when I get home from work. Shirley
    ...See More

$8500 Condo Kitchen Progress Update 3 - Backsplash!

Q

Comments (10)
    Our cabinets came form Home Depot American Woodmark Brand. We got a good deal because they were having a sales if you spend over $5,000 you got a free sink base cabinet which saved about $400 so on cabinets plus granite it cost us $4,600. We also bought tile that was on clearance so it was about $1 per square foot of tile. The contractor we really lucked out on we found him on Craigslist. He was a MA licensed builder and he showed us his own kitchen which he remodeled to show us his work. He also came in at an insane lower price then any one else we had put a quote on the job. I think the labor including electrical and plumbing (he knew people who did these) it was a total of $3,600. then over time we had to add the $300 because the wall we turned into the breakfast bar was load bearing so he had to install a new support beam which added a bit to the cost. It should be done sometime next week so I will post new pics then!
    ...See More

Just a quick update...3 weeks already!

Q

Comments (6)
    My DDIL is going through this same process right now. She is so looking forward to her last chemo treatment this week - will be happy to see the last of it! Fingers crossed that your CT scan is positive and the rest of your treatment goes well.
    ...See More
  • lindaohnowga
    12 years ago

I am so very thankful for people like you, Marilyn. Bless your heart. I'm glad you, hubby and the dog are now all okay.

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

Oh poor Gertie, what a horrible experience! I am glad you found her. or she found you!

• FlamingO in AR
    12 years ago

Gertie is adorable and I'm so glad she's OK.

So what's happening with the bees? Did they all move on? I love regular bees, but this story will forever change how I think about them. Killer bees are really scary.

• sue_va
    12 years ago

I've just read update#2, and #3.

I don't know how you manage to keep up with all your set backs, but thank goodness you do!

Poor Gertie. She is so cute, and lucky that you found her.

Glad to see that you are back with us here at the KT.

Keep the updates coming when you have time.

Don't forget to give yourself and Jodi a break now and then.

Sue

• linda_in_iowa
    12 years ago

Gertie is so cute. What a story of the bees. I can't imagine getting stung more than once. I am happy you all survived. Marilyn, you have the most interesting stories of your life on the bayou.

• tobygirl
    12 years ago

Wow! What a nightmare! Glad everyone survived. What an adorable little doggie that Gertie is!

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Yes, I'm glad you and Gertie found one another. I used to have a dog nearly identical to Gertie - her name was Hazel Lee Cunningham I. lol I loved that little dog, she was by my side constantly, would pick up anything I dropped and even if I didn't realize it. I would turn around and here she would be wanting to give me a kleenex or such other that I dropped. Hazel lived to 16yrs. old. The best little mutt ever - just like Gertie.

Hope the bees have moved on. That had to be a terrible experience.

Hazel:
    {{gwi:1691219}}

• marilyn_c
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There is an abandoned house on our road that had bees in the walls. The yard has grown up in brush and part of the house has now fallen in...however, I am sure there are still bees in it. I believe they came from there. Regular bees can cross with killer bees. I think the killer bees kill the queen and put one of their own queens in there. (Not sure about that...so for anyone who "asks the HARD questions" that is just what someone told me). The house is owned by an elderly woman who lives in Houston. I called her and asked her to see about doing something about the bees, because if those are Africanized now...it will be a threat forever. From that house to our place is solid, thick woods. You can't get in there and burn down the house...which is what some people have suggested. It is mostly pine trees...and they burn like a torch.

She said she would do something. I don't think she will. She has money, so she could hire it done. We were going to talk to the county agent and see what can be done about it but then my husband got very sick and for the past several days, we've had to deal with that.

I have never had a fear of bees, or wasps either. I will pick up bees out of the water troughs with my hands. (I found out it doesn't work so well with wasps, but I will give them a stick to crawl up on.) Right now the privet and tallow trees are blooming and they are covered with bees. I went out to feed the donkeys yesterday and I heard a very loud buzzing and I stopped dead in my tracks. I didn't see a swarm...I guess the sound was coming from the privet.

I'm still not afraid of bees...but now I worry about walking out in the woods. If I got too far from the house, I don't know what I would do if I got attacked. I would have no where to go. If I had a bad reaction the next time something like this happened, I would be dead before I could get help. Like I told my husband, if we had died, we would be dead for days before anyone realized it.

Jody had a friend who was killed by two wasp stings. One stung him on the throat and before he could get help he died, so ever since then, he hasn't liked wasps. I, on the other hand, never kill them or destroy their nests. We had a huge nest of them right over the back door one summer, and he never knew they were there.

The bees also swarmed to the house behind the abandoned house...not close as in town, but within a few acres. The guy who lives there said they had a big swarm in a tree and he didn't do anything about them until they started after his cat. I think he said he burned them out.

My fear is that they will find a hollow tree or something back in my woods and no telling where else around here, and we will have to contend with this from now on.

With the high price of hay now, we have decided to clear 10 acres and make a hay field. Big concern now about getting equipment in here to do it. Noises and vibrations from equipment tend to set them off.

Before we bought this house, it had bees in the walls. We bombed them. Then, last year, we just happened to be in here and the windows open on the sun porch (no screens yet because we have to have some custom built) and a swarm of bees flew in and tried to get in the wall where bees had been before. We had no thought of killer bees at the time, and we were able to spray them and chase them out. I worry that I could come home some day and find the house full of bees.

So it is something to contend with from now on, I suppose.

• Granlan_TX
    12 years ago

Each time I hear about that bee attack, it amazes me you, Jody and Gertie survived.

Great update on Gertie...such a sweet girl...you two were meant to be together, Marilyn. :)

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Geez, what a story! Did I read that right -- your friend murdered her husband??

• marilyn_c
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"Did I read that right -- your friend murdered her husband??"

Kill or be killed. It is your choice. She didn't lay down and die.

• Jasdip
    12 years ago

Wow! I was in shock reading about you, Gertie and Jody.
    What a horrible, horrible experience.

I'm so glad everyone is all right.....at least I hope everyone is.

Gertie reminds me of Eddie from Fraser.....he was adorable and so smart! She definitely has the right home, now.

Dedtired, read the Update #2 for the explanation of Marilyn's friend.

• justlinda
    12 years ago

Just want to add that "Gertie" owns that name. Bet if we looked up that name in a dictionary, her picture would be there.

Thanks Marilyn for all you do.

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

I did read Update #2 and now this one - but for some reason I can't find Update # 1 - was there one?

Marilyn - I sure hope you somehow save all of these because it would make a fascinating book or even a series of articles in a magazine.

• petra_gw
    12 years ago

So glad all turned out okay, bees can be very scary. I wonder how Gertie was injured, maybe another animal. She is very, very lucky you found her.

• sjerin
    12 years ago

Your life is anything but dull, Marilyn! I'm so sorry for your recent troubles but very happy to read about your acquisition of Gertie--what a sweetheart of a doggy. I would be terrified if those bees came after me. Is there no Beekeepeers Guild in your area? I realize you're in a rural area, so perhaps not. I wish you and your husband returning good health and hope the bees won't bother you anymore.

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

I am so sorry about you and your pets. Bee's can be so dangerous. My husband spent 4 days in the hospital with one bee sting many years ago, then went thru allergy shots and still has to be very careful. If we go anywhere and I see/hear bees I will not let him out of the car. He will end up in the hospital and in is condition will not make it. Hope the other person will contact someone to take care of the bees around her house.
    Take care
    Marie

• foggyj
    12 years ago

I am glad to see your posts too. I wish I had your fortitude! Your life is not dull, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing with us,... it's always interesting.

• sleeperblues
    12 years ago

How scary!! (I laughed at your HARD questions line, Marilyn). Gertie is so lucky to have found you. She is so adorable I would have taken her in, too. I would love to help you out to have her spayed, if you would like a donation. Send me an email with your address.

• marilyn_c
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I appreciate it, sleeperblues, but I get good deals from the shelters that I work with. I will get her taken care of way before she comes in heat again.

Maire Cate...Update #1 was the one that caused the brouhaha when I told gave the update on my house. I didn't label it #1...I just called it Update (I think). I think someone had it deleted. I haven't looked for it. I quit reading it when people started pissing me off. I have had a lot of stress lately, and I didn't need the extra hassle. I only came back to do these to show people they aren't going to run me off....if I get ready to go, it will be because I want to. And, I believe I have a lot of friends here, and some don't belong to Facebook, so they don't see the things I write about the animals there. I think these updates are kinda silly...but sort of fun...and if someone thinks I have a big ego for doing this....well, so be it. ;)

• lindaohnowga
    12 years ago

Marilyn, the older I get I find that I don't "care" what anyone thinks. You do the same and just be you and keep on posting about your life and the animals for those of us who "do" enjoy reading them.

• lisa_fla
    12 years ago

You could write a book. I would love to read it. I really enjoyed Nita's. Never a dull moment. Gertie looks so sweet! I can't imagine being swarmed by bees!!

• marilyn_c
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lisa, I wrote the story of my life at another forum. Did you read that?

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

Marilyn - thanks for taking the time to explain the threads. I didn't mean to dredge up the old one. I was afraid I'd missed a recent post where you updated us on your home.

You do have lots of friends here at the KT and I always enjoy reading about the various creatures in your care. I hope you've made a lot of progress!

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Your friend sounds courageous. I hope she is okay today.

I grew up with a wire hair terrier named Flip. Gertie looks a bit like him. You have a wonderful heart.

• nanny98
    12 years ago

Keep on Writing.... See how many of us enjoy reading about your interesting life. Nanny

• sheilajoyce_gw
    12 years ago

We are in the suburbs, and we had a swarm of bees move into my new owl house. We called bee keepers, and it cost us $200 to have them come get them and relocate them to their hives.

I would think in farm territory that a farmer who keeps bees might like to adopt those bees. the bee keepers I used said that it is the pesticides that farmers use that are killing the bees, so maybe they would welcome a swarm or two. They said here in the city where pesticides are not sprayed with large equipment, there is no shortage of bees.

• marilyn_c
    Original Author
    12 years ago

These were killer bees. No one wants to adopt them. They are extremely dangerous to be around. They will attack and chase you for a quarter of a mile. What happens, the killer bees cross with regular honey bees, and the only way to tell them apart is microscopically. They are extremely aggressive and dangerous not only to people, but animals as well. I am sure any bee keeper in this area would want to eradicate them because they don't want them taking over their hives. They do produce honey...and that is how they managed to spread. An experiment in Brazil (in 1956, I think) went wrong and they escaped. They were trying to produce a better honey bee by crossing them with African bees. Over the years they have migrated up from South America into the southern states. I am sure people everywhere would want to stop them before they infect hives and continue to spread further.

• ont_gal
    12 years ago

hey there Marilyn..sent pics of my old Scruff to your FB page....

• lisa_fla
    12 years ago

No Marilyn I didn't read it. Is there a way to? You can email me thru may page if you would rather not post it.

• marilyn_c
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lisa, you don't have your email listed on your My Page. Are you on Facebook? I have several friends from KT as friends at FB but most of them, I have no idea who they are. I just know they are from KT because we have mutual friends that I do recognize from KT.