SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edie_tn

Sewer cleanout for backwash

edie_tn
14 years ago

I think I have already answered my own question, but I don't like the answer.

Anyway, nothing has been done with my pool installation over the last week because it has literally rained 9 days in row.... Hopefully, the rain has subsided and we might get to continue at some point this week.

Issue is that we have two sewer cleanouts at the house, one on the side of the house close to the backyard which would place our pool equipment in a perfect spot and enable pipe to be tied into the clean out there for backwash. The other choice is the cleanout that is on the back of the house behind our bedroom which would place the equipment slightly further away from the pool, cause us to have to trench over/under existing water line and sewer pipe. This spot is less convenient for purposes of controlling lights, etc., as well.

The problem is that although the plumber originally told us there would be no problem tying into the first cleanout (we were worried as this one is cast iron, he has now told us that although the cast iron pipe is 3", He came out the other day to say that it turns out that there is an interior pipe that is only 2" so it will not be wide enough to tie in for backwash. He said that it doesn't matter where we place the equipment, but that we have no choice but to use the other cleanout. With this in mind, our choice is to either move all of the equipment to the less preferred spot and tie in there, or to try to pipe, at a slope, across the yard from the current spot of the equipment to the larger cleanout. Problem is that our yard slopes slightly downward towards where the equipment is now, meaning we would be hard pressed to get a downward slope across the yard and be able to meet up with the cleanout without being too deep. Also, I worry that causing the water to flow that much further might not be the best idea.

So am I correct that my best choice is to move the pump/filter to the less desired location and hold my breath that we don't break a water line or sewer pipe in the process, as well as living the rest of my life trudging further to get to my panel? Not to mention, although we have electric panels on this other side of the house as well, they are in front of the house, and he will not have to wire further through the attic in order to get his job done. Basically, everything is having to be changed because of the sewer cleanout.....

Any thoughts?

Also, can someone tell me why, if the pipes from the pool to the pump are 2", then why can't the pipe going to the main sewer be 2" as well? The plumber said it could possibly cause our toilets to back up.

Comments (10)