SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goodguy2k2k

Please Help me Choose a Pro Range - Bluestar, NXR, Verona

goodguy2k2k
11 years ago

Ok, I have been lurking and reading quite a bit about BlueStar, NXR, and other Prostyle ranges on here and am ready to buy but need some advice.

So my options are (tax, etc included):
1) Bluestar 30"from Costco.ca for $2711
2) NXR 30" from Costco.com for $2118
3) Verona 36' 2 Fuel from AJ Madison for $2499
4) Bertazzoni 30" for $2499 - but have read bad things.

So here is the scoop on getting the Canadian bluestar:

I live about 30 minutes from the Canadian border and there is a Costco right across the border. Called them and the Bluestar Ranges are coming up as discontinued and no stores (at least in Ontario) had any in stock. Only can order them on Costco.ca.

I called US Customs/border an the border agent said it is duty free to bring it across (if there is a made in USA designation on them item (so might have to unbox it to show if they really need to look).
I guess no tarriff/duty if made in USA or Canada (NAFTA).

The border agent did state that there is no duty IF you are using it for personal use and not commercial use. He said they ask you questions at the border to determine if it is in fact for personal use and IF the agent believes you then no duty. Couple more issues - HST (13% canadian taxes - yikes! so about $312 dollars on the 30" Bluestar range making it about $2700 is that still a good deal? model RCS304BCN which is i think now RCS304IRV1).

Other thing is since no stores have them, you would
have to have a place to ship it to (i.e. UPS store or canadian equivalent and somewhere that can take freight like that - my neighbors parents live there so they might let me ship it there).
Other than all that hassle - it seems like a simple trip across the border :-) - not that big of a deal for us border crossers who do it a few times a year ...lol

Also, Bluestar manufacturer in Pennsylvania says Warranty is honored no matter where you bought the range. Why the heck cant they just sell them here for that price...Ugh...

But, is this even a good deal at the $2711 price for the RCS304BCN (I think they ship you the RCS304IRV1 instead) model Bluestar? I am not a super chef and maybe 15K burners would suffice instead of 22K typical BS burners???

Note; you can no longer get a tax rebate as a consumer when cross border shopping.

So trying to decide on:
1) Canadian Bluestar for $2711 (with some hassle getting it)
2) 30" NXR for $2119 from US Costco
3) Verona 36" with dual fuel from AJ madison for $2499.
http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/VEFSGE365.html

Which would you choose and why?
THANKS!

Comments (22)