SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chimacalgal

How to decide about buying!

CJ Mac
11 years ago

My husband and I were going to sign some papers tomorrow to get the ball rolling on a buying/building a new house in a subdivision we really like that's about 15 minutes south of us. Here's the situation: we have a very nice house that we like very much, it just needs better countertops and back splash and the screened patio spruced up. Oh yeah: and our neighbors don't like us so we need to plant some tallish plants to screen our backyard on both sides.

The new place would be a smaller house but brand new and we'd get to make all the design choices. But adding a screened patio like ours would add $8000 they tell us so we either spend more than we want or forgo things we'd like. The big draw, though, is that we know many of the people who live in this subdivision and it would be SO wonderful to be with people who actually like us. Also closer to places we frequent for shopping, dining, church, etc.

It's not impossible to stay where we are: we've been here 6.5 years, but the last argument with our elderly neighbors really left a bad taste in our mouths. We can get over it and put up those shrubs and rarely see them. The ones on the other side have just never liked us for some reason so things would remain cool as they always have been. 15 minutes is not impossible for getting to where the action is...

We only just started to contemplate this a week ago when we went to look at a model home--that we would have purchased immediately if it hadn't already been sold. But now we're being pressured to pick a lot, sign a contract, etc. etc. because they're going to be pouring foundations this week. I HATE being pressured...

We're wondering what if we stay put for a year or two and then wait to see if any of those new owners have to sell for some reason or other. We'd have more time to fix up the house, scale back on possessions, pack, etc.

Any thoughts? We'd appreciate any advice.

Comments (3)