SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aduane

kitchen cabinet help, redoing 1911 home

aduane
14 years ago

Hello and thank you all for the very informative posts. i have been reading nonstop for several days. we just purchased a very run down 1911 home in southern california and are redoing it. we have gotten stuck on the kitchen. the kitchen in 10x11 with one of the 11 foot walls is open to the living room (basically uppers on 2 of the walls only). we had originally gotten a quote from our GC's cabinet guy for custom cabinets at about 15k plus 2500 to paint them. we were in lowes the other day looking at zodiaq bianca carraro and they priced us some shuler cabinets at about 8k. this caused us to rethink our whole kitchen and we realized that what we really like are the inset shaker style doors which would be more period. from what i have read we should take the cabinets all to the ceilings (9 foot) and should try to do the inset doors.

the look we are going for is the white painted cabinets with the marble like (zodiaq) counter tops. so my questions are

has anyone worked with a good cabinet maker in souther california that did inset doors with good quality and reasonable price

has anyone used the dupont zodiaq quartz bianco carraro with the white cabinets and is happy with the look of marble, without looking too "engineered"

is the general consensus that in redoing an older house the inset shaker doors really do make a difference in the historic look of the house, and taking the cabinets all the way to the ceiling (even 9 feet) is the way to go.

thank you for all the help

Comments (8)