SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlhealdquilter

Breast Cancer Awareness Blocks

dlhealdquilter
17 years ago

Ladies

I know how much you all like to participate in exchanges, and while this isn't an exchange, it is open to anyone. Let me explain.

Minot Air Force Base each year sponsors a quilt auction to benefit breast cancer awareness in October. Together with the Minot Prairie Quilt Guild, of which I am the current President, we solicite quilt squares from military members from the base, our quilt guild, other guilds in North Dakota and the local community. I would like to extend this invitation to you ladies here at the quilting forum as well. Here are the details:

You design the block ANY WAY you want. The finished block should be 12-1/2 inches unfinished in either a pink theme (for breast cancer awareness) or a patriotic theme (red, white and blue). You send me your finished blocks, or a completed wall hanging or quilt and we will put your block in a top with other blocks and auction them off.

Last year we had in the neighborhood of 25 quilts and raised over $8000 to go to Breast Cancer Research. Let me give you and idea of just what the military and local community was willing to pay...Last year's Quilt Guild President made a very simple wall hanging with three squares in a patriotic theme. I think she told me that she had these three pieces with American Flags in them, that she added to with like a log cabin affect. This one particular wall hanging brought in $450! A 12 block quilt was bringing in $300 to $400.

Each block received will be acknowledge with the person's name on a label on the back of the quilt, so please be sure to include your name, city and state. In October, after the auction, I will be more than happy to post pictures and results.

If you are interested in making a block (or two) or a wall hanging or quilt to donate to this cause, I will be taking donations until the middle of August 2007. If you would like additional information or have questions, please don't hesitate to let me know. I will post my mailing address after I get moved into my new house the beginning of May and get settled. I will be in a better position to accept your donations at that time.

I know that some of you will participate and thank you up front for your support.

Lynn in ND

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County