SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannon01_gw

In honor of breast cancer awareness month...I'm done!

Shannon01
13 years ago

I am pleased to announce, holding back tears, that I had my final radiation treatment yesterday.

I had my biopsy first of Jan, surgery 2/10/10, chemo started 3/29/10 with treatment every three wks for total of 6 infusions, radiation daily from 8/26-10/12. I handled all treatment fairly well.

My hair began to fall out just before my 44th birthday on 5/12. I had it shaved off a few weeks later so my dh, dd, ds would never have a memory of how bad it looked, it was really scary- imagine freddy kruger. I got to go all summer without having to shave my legs- who hoo! I noticed my hair starting to grow back the end of Sept. It is much darker than my normal dirty blonde, kinda charcoal. That will be ok because my wig is blonde with dark layers at neckline. Everyone will think I got tired of the style and cut it all off really short. They will think the color is just leftover from the longer style. I hope it is long enough by Christmas. We snowboard the next day and it will be impossible to remove a helmet without the wig coming off. My dh says I am starting to resemble the sexy Signorney Weaver instead of Sinade Oconnor, that is a relief!

I am going to have the genetic test done. If I have the cancer gene then I will have to think about removing my ovaries. And then I can stop taking this stupid- sorry, I don't like taking meds- medication. If negative, I keep taking the meds and deal with my hormones when I am 49 and no longer taking them.

I get to see the oncologist every few months for the next 5years. I get to have lots of mammograms. My ob will watch out for uterine cancer, unless the ovaries are removed. If they come out my risk of U cancer is gone.

I plan to return to work on 11/1. I am really excited. I will probably cry all day and not get a thing done. I really miss all the wacko coworkers I have and they say they miss my energy.

I can't wait to have to figure out when to grocery shop, when to run my errands. Somehow I manage time much better when working than when sitting at home.

My dh and I are planning our vacations for next year already. The Easter Jeep Safari at Moab is top of my list. We could not go as planned this past Easter due to my treatment- boo hoo. He wants to go to Idaho, near the Tetons, to kayak and see nature. I am up for anything. And with shorter hair, less to fuss with while camping. See there is a bonus to losing your hair! lol

My entire life changed forever on 1/15/2010 when I got my formal diagnosis. I will never be the same person I was on 1/14/2010. I had a great outlook on life before but now it all seems so much clearer. My dh has once again showed me his total committment and devotion to me. Yesterday he called to say hello after my treatment. He said that now we put this behind us and move on. And move on together we shall. No dwelling on what ifs. When the day is lovely, enjoy it. Cleaning out the garage can wait. If the snow falls, head to the lodge. Putting up shelves in the laundry room can wait.

I am so glad to have gone through this year with all the kindness you have all shown me. I hope and pray that we never have to read about another one of us having to go through this. But if we do, know that the power of prayer and good thoughts trickles over the internet cables and into our hearts. Every hug you send is felt.

So today, and every day, please, Eat Dessert First!

Comments (27)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz