SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summerskye_gw

Short sales

summerskye
16 years ago

My husband just called me from work and told me about a conversation he had with a new coworker. This guy was moving from another state, where he had purchased a house at the peak of the market, no money down, $3000/mo. payment slave to the mortgage etc. He just got this job offer a couple weeks ago, got his lender to approve a short sale for $100,000 less than he owed with no hit to his credit, listed the house and accepted an offer a week later. He said that "new legislation" is what made this possible. The only legislation I know of concerning this involves the taxation of the forgiven debt. DH wants me to look into this for our situation. We are looking at bringing about $8000 to closing now if we sell at list price. I hadn't looked into a short sale because I would rather cough up the 8 grand than take a hit to my credit, have my finances subject to intense scrutiny and be forced to liquidate our 401ks and explain why we still have cell phones and Netflix.

If this guy is telling the whole story I'm not sure how I feel about this. A little jealous that he is getting off so easy. I think if this were me I would be telling NO ONE about it because I would be so ashamed. What about the person who put $100000 down, no one's giving them their money back just because they bought at the peak. Have short sales really gotten this easy?

Comments (13)