SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Help Needed for Back Entry Useful but Ugly

DLM2000-GW
14 years ago

Or maybe I should say butt ugly ;-)

Sorry this is so long.

Either way, I need some help. The front of our house presents a pretty face, traditional colonial, but our back entry needs help. Its an old house with a detached garage at the back of the property so we come and go through our back door and Im sick of the look of the back of our house. Plus, close friends and family tend to use that entry, too, so its time to address this.

Heres the view going down the driveway to the garage last fall. The concrete is stained from the oak leaves nothing to be done about that, it varies from season to season. That fenceline area seems to collect things DH is using for a project at the moment I battle to keep it clear but generally I lose. My dream would be to at least keep the garbage cans and materials du jour a little further back and create some kind of screen but DH thinks its going to make his life more difficult having to be in and out of that side area between the fence and garage for materials, dodging the cans and having to slip behind a screen. Ideas? Not sure I can pull rank on this one since this is how he makes a living and Ive become accustomed to regular meals ;-)

This view is what I see as I leave the garage and head to the back door. The chairs were just there momentarily so ignore them. The metal railing at the basement entrance should be painted (it has to remain as is, cant be some pretty wood railing like our deck) but I think painted it will be fine. Should it be white like all the other house trim or do you think Cottage Red like all the doors would work? The red could be fun and unexpected; the white is a sure thing. And then theres the foundation wall. DH says he will grind down the seam areas from the concrete forms, and then we can paint with a textured type of stucco paint. But what color? Tan? Brown? Something else? We dont want to apply another material like stone or brick, this is still a utility area and just covering the raw concrete will clean up the look.

{{gwi:1691646}}

Looking around the corner to the back steps, we have lovely recycling bins. Im hoping to get DH to build a rack for them, so theyll be double decked and maybe partially hidden. Its convenient to lean out the back door and toss so I dont want them in the garage this is a fact of life that has to be easily accessible year round and trudging through snow or rain to the garage is not convenient. Ideas?

And then theres the under stair area another lovely look. Were thinking about lattice but we have so many trees, the leaves getting caught in that would be a big pain. Ideas?

It finally dawned on me that since this is how we view our house day in and day out it needs to be as nice looking as possible. We deserve at least as much effort and attention to detail as we try to provide to the rest of the world, right? I'm open to any suggestions but have to tell you the quicker and easier, the better. Since DH does this for a living our projects seem more like work than work, IYKWIM! Never used to be like that - we must be getting old!

Comments (47)

• ttodd
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What about potted shrubs, plants etc. in the corners to soften it up?

Is there enough space by the metal railing to plant a pretty shrub or 2? Maybe put a bench in front of them.

I don't think that lattice under the stair and landing area would be a problem w/ leaves and would look really nice.

• DruidClark
    14 years ago

1. lattice under the back steps, shouldn't have problem w/ leaves.

2. Paint the concrete a lighter color than the house color.

3. Paint the railing white, imo, rather than red, so that the doors continue to stand out.

4. Buy/make a covered bin for the recycling. You can't toss, perhaps, but it would look better. In fact, is there room to move it to below the porch railing?

5. Remove the brooms and put up a little welcome sign.

6. Invest in a pretty overhead light, if you don't have one and/or a nice light for the wall beside the door.

7. Planters, planters, planters. Impatiens are easy to grow and often (not always) do well in either sun or shade.

PS Ain't any HOME butt ugly. Yours is beautiful, I'm sure. This is just a sore spot that you're going to get fixed. How fun is that?

• Related Discussions

Ugly, ugly sideyard. Lots of advice needed

Q

Comments (5)
    Molly, I popped over here by mistake, I live near Seattle. I can't comment on what to plant in your zone but I wanted to say that I don't see an ugly ugly side yard. What I see is a whole lot of potential. If there were great beds there before that means there is probably some pretty good stuff to work with under those weeds. Smothering the little buggers with newspaper is the cheapest most effective way to go. It will save you all the work of pulling and save the soil from chemical weed killers. The real question you should be looking at is what would you most enjoy in that space? Maybe right now your feeling overwhelmed by a new house and all the inherited problems but try to think ahead a year or two when you are more settled in. Would you like a tropical hideaway, a cottage garden, a watery oaisis or maybe hose and go concrete all the way? There are a million and more ways to deal with that space and every gardener here will have a million more ideas. You are the one who will have to live there and do the work so what would be your fantasy space? If you could post a question such as "here is my space and the issues, what I would love to have is a tropical hideaway with a koi pond... or something desert looking. Can you help me with ideas for how to make that happen?" I think I understand. I also inherited a mess. Our house is on the side of a mountain and all the dirt had been scraped away to use as the house foundation. There was zero dirt anywhere. Instead I had 15 years of weeds and compacted driveway gravel serving as the front yard! Now I have an 18,000 gal. pond, a 200 gal pond and a cottage garden. Took me three years with no money and no help but in the morning a sit by the pond with my coffee watching the fish and the birds and I absolutely love the space I once hated with all my being. So what do you really want?
    ...See More

Our house is ugly. Please help us with ideas to update the exterior.

Q

Comments (1)
    You may want to try a more appropriate forum like Home Decorating.
    ...See More

Definitely not as ugly duplex needs curb appeal help!

Q

Comments (16)
    Not sure of the color, but both SW and BM can match hardie colors. This one looks to be a gray/green. Edit: Found Hardie board (brown) with red (front door) but it may give you an alternate color scheme if the one posted above named Rehobeth Beach doesn't work. Trying to save you money on a roof change if you don't need one. One more gray with a red roof - a weathered gray
    ...See More

Need help with a small entry way. Need help with small entry way

Q

Comments (7)
    I don't mind the table and mirror and can't really think of anything besides art that would fit on that wall. Can't see the table details well but could it be painted? How about red to match your lovely door? What would say "fresh and cozy" to you for that space? Have you thought of a new light fixture? A runner and a larger rug in the entrance could look good. I don't find the clock visible from the door to be welcoming so I'd be tempted to remove it.
    ...See More
  • awm03
    14 years ago

dlm, are we married to the same man?!

Can you train a climbing rose on that metal rail to the basement? Not sure how much sun it gets there.

• teacats
    14 years ago

Well -- I would simply place a single lattice-type panel (framed of course!) -- held upright (maybe by a piano hinge?) -- and out from the fence -- at the spot where the tree trunks are sitting in your photo. That single panel would at least shield some of the area -- and would be easy to walk behind. OR simply invest in a long patio planter and add a tall lattice back -- and add plants. The planter could even have wheels for easy moving during projects.

As for the garbage and recycling -- would your DH consider building a small wood bin that would "cradle" the bins and shield them slightly? He could add a lid (metal lined to keep out pests) If he builds a rack for them -- he could make it wheeled -- which would make it faster to get them to the street.

As for the basement door -- yes -- paint the stair-rail -- but I would prime it very well and paint it a darker color that would help it to disappear. Although the red stairwell would be fun -- and match the door! And I would add a small light or two that would let someone see the stairs in the dark.

As for the under-the-back-stairs -- yep -- I vote for a latticed area with a hinged door -- for cleaning. Get the tight-weave lattice which will hold back the leaves. OR -- would a couple of larger pots of taller plants work as a shield?

Just some thoughts! Hope these help! I have the same problem here -- our garage is filled with stuff everyday -- and it is the main way for us to enter and leave the house! Sheesh! :(

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, so everyone thinks the lattice under the stairs would work and not be a pain with leaves thats certainly easy enough.

Druidclark I actually wanted to move the recycling beneath the stairs as long as there could be a trap door so I could still drop stuff in! Needless to say DH kinda rolled his eyes at that one. So the concrete paint you think a lighter brown/tan is the way to go? Yes the broom needs a new home the laundry room is just inside that door so Ill get a hook. We do have a vintage hanging light over the back door - you can see a bit of it below.

Ttodd there is a small strip of dirt between the metal railing and the drive currently have some daylilies there and could/probably will add some other bright annuals Its nice to have plants that disappear because when we plow that area in the winter, shrubs would take a real beating. Im spray painting 2 cool IKEA planters today, actually just came in to give my hand a break! One will go at the corner of the house, the other . not sure yet.

awm you know the drill then if its not practical, its not on his priority list!

Jan as usual you have the vision! A swinging screen how perfect! Wonder what I can do to convince Keith how perfect that would be.. ;-) Im also thinking dark for the metal railing now. I just cleaned it with denatured alcohol and there are a couple of small rust spots that will bleed through white paint even with primer. Dark paint at least wont need yearly painting. So probably the same color as the siding or the Cottage Red, Im thinking.
    . What I didnt show is the small garden area to the left of the basement entrance t has a white climbing rose and boxwoods still filling it in. And there is a light over the basement stairs.

• annzgw
    14 years ago

I agree with using a framed lattice gate as a partition in the garage area. It wouldn't have to meet with the corner of the garage but could be located this side of the garbage can. To stabilize the 'free' side of the gate, drill a hole in the concrete and install a pin (as seen on double doors & barn doors) on the edge of the frame.

Don't know your zone, but if you have room you could plant some Sky Pencil Holly by the metal railing. It's slow growing and narrow.

DH will love to hear this, but I don't think it's necessary to grind down the framing lines on the foundation. I've seen such framing done on purpose for the unique look it gives when painted. I would paint a section first and see if you like the look.

Also, I can't tell what, if any, finish is on the wooden stairs, but have you ever considered painting the risers and skirtboard?

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

annz the stairs are painted, same brown as the siding but looks odd in the picture because of the sun splash. For our front entry the risers are white but for the back I didn't bother - easer to maintain for the everyday entrance. I'll work on taller perennials or annuals by the metal railing. And if we (meaning DH!) can get away with no grinding, that would be nice!

• teacats
    14 years ago

Thanks! Vision? (snort LOL!) According to DH -- I simply can find projects for anybody! LOL! Just teasing!

Just wondering -- you may want to light the starting edge of the stairs down to the basement -- just for safety! I wonder if those solar lights that attach to deck stairs would work there? Maybe attach them there with double-sided carpet tape?

And DH wanted to know if rainwater or stormwater run-off is a problem with your downspout right there by the start of the stairs down to the basement? Just being nosy ....

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• Olychick
    14 years ago

I bought a couple of inexpensive outdoor copper washboiler type containers (new, not antique) that I put my recycling in and keep the plastic ones in the garage. I can toss the recycling out and on recycle day I just transfer the stuff to the plastic containers for the curb. I would think plastic wicker boxes or something else light enough to lift easily would work and pretty up that spot - or I'd put them where the brooms are. These are a little $$ but you could likely find something similar.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jan you can be as nosy as you want - I just won't answer you if you go too far! Honestly we have no lighting issues - there's a carriage type light and if we need more we have utility floods that you can't see way up at the peak of the gable. There's a drain at the bottom of the basement stairs so any rainwater from that downspout that goes down the stairs goes into the drain tile, just like the rain or snow that falls directly on the stairs. And no, we have no water issues in the basement - it's been bone dry for 20 years this June!

olychick I love the idea of the decorative recycle bins - copper - how gorgeous! But since DH is the one who brings them to the curb, I KNOW he won't transfer contents - not in MY lifetime!

• daisychain01
    14 years ago

I think your garage would look amazing with a lattice above the doors. I've seen pics but not sure if I can find one now. I'm thinking of sort of a pergola look. Corbels or beams attached to the garage on either side of the doors and then lattice running across. You could grow and easy vine across it and it would be so dramatic, no one would notice the stuff beside the garage.

I wouldn't do lattice to cover the understeps area. I'd cover it right up with plywood and do shakes over it to match the rest of the siding.

Agree with others about painting the railing white instead of red. A few massive planters would make all the difference. Our Homesense sells them for very little.

Beautiful home as is, but a few tweaks will make it spectacular.

• daisychain01
    14 years ago

Here's sort of what I was thinking of.

• daisychain01
    14 years ago

Here's another one that might suit your space better.

• natal
    14 years ago

Are those ladders leaning against the fence? They could be hung on the side of the garage. This is what the back of our shed looks like.

{{gwi:32171}}

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    14 years ago

Love your home! I had a back porch like that once and used lattice to cover up the bottom part. What I did to avoid the leaf problem was cover the back of the lattice with screen. Worked perfect and looked nice all the time. I used the vinyl lattice.
    ~Betsy

• teacats
    14 years ago

Ah! Makes perfect sense -- both the utility lights and the drain at the bottom of the stairs .....

Jan (nosy old cat! LOL!) at Rosemary Cottage

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

natal that's actually not a ladder, it's a trailer hitch platform that was there at that moment in time and the other leaning item is just a board I think. The accouterments will vary based on the project du jour. We have the same type of rack system you do but at any given moment there will likely be something in use and visible. That makes the screen idea very appealing to me. That area in your picture looks just like ours, with the gravel between the fence and shed/garage - for a second I wondered how you got that shot!

daisy chain I LOVE the pergola idea - the second one especially. We've toyed with the idea of tearing our garage down and building a new one with a steep roofline to match the house that would create attic space above, carriage doors - you know, really cute it up. But it doesn't seem likely and sure isn't a priority so maybe the pergola would work. I'm going to show DH that second picture

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Deb, if you don't have too much wind that would blow this baby away an air conditioner fence could work to camouflage your recycle bins at least from ground level and you could still toss things from the porch into them.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

I'd use this type of lattice to cover the area under your porch, attach to the railing to the basement and possibly make a fence/block for the side of the garage.
    This squared style I think works with your homes style and would be easily cut to look finished when attached to the railing to the basement. Not sure what your lighting situation is there, but Morning Glories or other vines would look pretty there and add some color.
    When talking fencing to block the side of the garage I'm thinking if you bring it far enough forward it will block the view from the street but still allow open access for Kevin to all his stuff. You'd have to drill into the concrete to attach the fence posts, but it's certainly doable.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This is turning out to require more convincing than I thought.

May have to break out the thong dance. Stay tuned.

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

Cue music: Bow chick a bow wow...

• kitchenkelly
    14 years ago

chick a bow wow............

I love this thread. I am getting ideas, too. I already printed the second pergola.

For the metal railing I don't like the white or color of the house. I would use a metal colored paint. Like copper, antique pewter or an oil rubbed bronze. How about a cute sign somewhere? I love the signs that have "Established 1899" if you know what I mean. I was thinking a skinny one placed between the two garage doors.

Happy dancing.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kk funny you should mention metal paint for the railing. I just sprayed 2 planters with Dark bronze Rustoleum and realized that would look great on the railing, too. Can't spray the railings but if that color isn't ready mixed in a can I'll have it matched. FYI - it is really close to the house color.

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

Would some visuals help?

I know we can't see that part of your picture, but a hanging flower or herb basket might be nice right off of your kitchen.

Just playing around, I made you a locking-wheel rolling lattice screen with a planter box at the bottom. He could wheel it around easily when he works plus you would have the versatility of placement.

This one is showing the lattice under the porch like others suggested. I think a white planter box would be nice too.

The bike-rack railing: Since you have to keep it, could you disguising it with a panel of lattice and hang a couple of planter boxes from it? Since you have snow issues, I thought it would be easier to maintain than plantings below. Anyway, just thowing around that idea.

• kitchenkelly
    14 years ago

just spray that paint into dixie cup and get painting.

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

Cue music: Bow chick a bow wow...

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

Sorry, I have no idea why this posted twice!

• nhb22
    14 years ago

I just wanted to say that I don't think the back of your house looks bad at all. Not nearly in line with how you described it. :-) I'd love to see the front.

Some great ideas posted here for you!

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ohhhhhh paintchips - that is so cute! Thank you! I like the look of the lattice in front of the metal railing. And the planter by the back door looks so nice but our drive is super narrow and DH's truck mirrors barely miss the rail by the back door as it is! Love the way you made a locking wheel screen - wish DH could work as fast ;-)

newhomebuilder you've seen the front - you just don't remember which house goes with which screen name - I get everyone's homes confused, see a picture and then think - oh that's right, I remember now.

This is the front last summer. I WILL get the railings for those front steps this summer or DH is sleeping in the treehouse!

And winter

• natal
    14 years ago

Beautiful home!

About those leaves staining the driveway. Have you tried using a pressure washer? It does a pretty good cleaning stains.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Paint chips that's just what I was talking about only you added the planters making them all extra cute! Oh and the lattice is different than I suggested, but you added trim around the railing to make that work. Very pretty. You did good girl. I'm watching our grandson or I'd have played around with paint. So thanks for the visuals!
    Deb, we screwed planters with trays to the top of our back deck railing. That could work for your porch. Here's a view from the back yard.
    {{gwi:1691657}}
    And from the deck.
    {{gwi:1691658}}

• nhb22
    14 years ago

dlm2000 - I don't believe I do remember your home, but I love it! I probably do remember the inside, though.

• loribee
    14 years ago

Just spray that paint into a dixie cup and get painting...
    Brilliant, Kitchenkelly! (I think that's the perfect color, too~)

Deb...your home is lovely!

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    14 years ago

tannatonk somehow I missed your post - that's a great idea backing the lattice with screen.

kk & Lori - There's only a bit left in the spray can, not enough for the whole railing. I'll get the paint today, though. BTW - have you ever done that - the spray into a cup thing? I can only imagine the mess.

Thanks, NHB - after a while of posting the same pics over and over You just assume everyone has seen them!

Becky you deck looks very pretty. I don't need plants on our itty bitty back porch though - it's already tight. And I use that railing to hang things or to shake things like sandy wet beach towels so I'd destroy flowers there!

natal we do pressure wash and it does come clean, but not for long. It's a driveway..... I worry about my kitchen floor being clean - that's enough!

I'm gonna need a better dance for that pergola idea.

• DruidClark
    14 years ago

Yep, I think lighter on the base, but I find I'm contrary to lots of opinions. My reasoning is that stonework would be lighter than your siding color and darker might make it look too dark. Staying in the same family should be safe. You have a very lovely house, btw.

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

Justgotabeme- Rereading now I see your idea. Gosh, and I thought I had a brilliant idea. Should have known! Love your railing. Hope you don't mind, but I saved your picture to show my husband.

DLM, your husband didn't leave room for flower boxes when he bought his vehicle? Shame on him! :OP

• JennaVaNowSC
    14 years ago

You have a lovely home, front and back! :) I think everyone here has given you some great ideas. I like the lattice and the planter on wheels with lattice back. It seems like it would take very little for you to get the back shaped up like you want it. Have you thought of staining the concrete? I know it is just a driveway,,,, but that is a big expanse of concrete, and i have seen some beautiful stains that look like stone................ just an idea.

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Thanks Deb. I do agree that shaking sandy beach towels and flowers on railings don't go well together. At all. I used to shake my throw rugs out there, but this stopped that chore. Well I still have to do it, but now have to walk further since the front porch is screened in too I have to go out the garage. I didn't think ahead at all, but do love both porch and deck.
    Paint Chips. That's really funny that you hadn't even read my post first. I guess great minds do think a like!
    And by the way. You did have a brilliant idea. Ha!

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Partial update, progress is being made although not done.
    You're welcome ;-)

We bought the vinyl lattice for under the stairs although haven't put it up yet

I painted the railing and the foundation but may do the foundation again - not sure I'm on board with the color. although it isn't completely dry here and it is darkening a bit. What do you think? And no, the part that you see unpainted is staying unpainted. Because that portion of the stairwell is in direct contact with soil, it is always a bit damp and DH says the paint won't grab right - sigh.

And from further back. We're looking a bit like the Clampetts at the moment. (reality check - we ALWAYS look a bit like the Clampetts)

• natal
    13 years ago

Love the railing color! Complements the red door beautifully!

• nhb22
    13 years ago

Looks great! I THINK THE FOUNDATION IS FINE. Opps! Didn't mean to yell. Hit the Caps lock by accident.

• annzgw
    13 years ago

Does anyone else see this as the subject on the main page: 'Quality of Safavieh Rugs from Overstock', yet when I click on it this thread opens up??

Anyway, regarding the color on the foundation, I'm not sure I'm on board either. Think I'd try a shade lighter or either darker.
    There is paint for concrete in damp areas and one brand I've used is Drylock. You can use the latex version and it can even be tinted.
    I once used it on a koi pond, with 1/2 the area under water. It was still looking great 5 yrs later when I painted it black.

• DLM2000-GW
    Original Author
    13 years ago

annz, yes there's something going on with the posts again - not sure how my post got switched with the rug one. Thanks for the tip on the Drylock - will look into it...... but I have 5 (yes 5) gallons of the other (it's only sold in 5 gal containers) :-/ It's a multiple lifetime supply!

Thanks natal - I'm loving the railing, too!

nhb - shush! thanks for the ok on the foundation - still not sure.......

• loribee
    13 years ago

Deb...the railing looks FAB with the door!

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

Love the railing. I am with ya on the foundation. I think it is too light. I think a foundation should be darker. How about a dark, dark grey or the color of the roof.

Love the roof over the window. I hate when overhangs are too small.

• justgotabme
    13 years ago

Love the railing. Not loving or hating the foundation.

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

So you would be Granny Clampett or Ellie Mae? Yep, we have a Clampett chain for our dog that gets out of his underground fence. A tad Clampett at this house, too - men!!

Love the railing color. Love the color of your house & would continue that for the foundation. Beautiful house.

Smiles:)