SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magothyrivergirl

All Kona (Solid) is not created equal

14 years ago

I was originally on a quest for the 'perfect black' for the BOM-PP I am doing here. It had to be very black to match the sashing fabric I was going to use - which I did not use-BTW. I ended up paying $10.00 yard (maybe even closer to $12.00yard) for "Premium" Kona Black at the LQS.

I have since bought some Kona solid black at Joanns a few times - small amts.

I am now also working on a Stack-n-whack quilt for a nephew in a novelty skateboard fabric (very cool) from equilter - nice, expensive. I brought 5 yards of Kona Black at Joanns - on sale $2.00 off so it is $3.99 yard. While I am sewing on this Joann's Kona, mostly triangles & not prewashed, I am thinking it is definitely different then the Premium I am using for the PPing and I am handling it alot, so I can feel the difference and the Joann's is raveling like crazy. But, I am also thinking is the $10-12 three times nicer??? depends on the project. Even the selvages are different.

So today, I need to cut 22.5" WOF then 22.5" squares - & then subcut into triangles. After I decide how to do that accurately & I cut the strip- I can't get the 22.5" squares - I decide I made a mistake - no - I measure the width and the Joanns Kona -not prewashed is only 40" wide - fuzzy selvage to fuzzy selvage!!! So really 38" wide.

I made a template and cut the triangles out of the too short cut pcs, I was lucky. The book was written in 1997 , when cotton was still 44/45" wide.

So, the Kona at the LQS is nicer, is deeper in color, is more tightly woven

and is 44" wide after preshrinking, and the selvages are so perfect, I have to cut them off when I am paper piecing because it is so hard to tell them from the fabric.

The Joanns, cheaper Kona serves a purpose, but it is not the same, and this is how it can be sold for 1/3 the price. It also was made in a different country.

It killed me to pay so much for a solid black - but I am pleased I did.

That's my assessment of expensive Kona Solids vs what you get at Joann's ~ for what its worth.

Comments (13)