SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annab6_gw

Were you bothered initially by your new granite being cold?

annab6
16 years ago

I wonder whether this has been an issue for anyone, will try to explain.

We'll be using granite but never had it before. Our neighbors just installed theirs last summer and when we went over to see their new kitchen, we noticed how cold the granite was to the touch. Although it didn't bother them, they did say that placemats were a must when feeding kids because the food was getting cold too fast when the plates were put directly on the counter (and kids are known to take time with the food).

I am wondering what I should expect. DH likes to keep the house on the cool side (we are in Northern NJ), he feels better when it is cooler. I am always cold and always wear socks and sleepers because I hate the cold bathroom floors. Always wait for the running water to warm up a bit before I put my hands under it.

Our daughters - one is like me, always bundling up, the other is like DH, if she didn't have a coat she wouldn't even miss it.

We both love the look of granite, but now I am worried that me and the like-me-DD wouldn't be comfortable working at a cold counter or eating at the island. And I am thinking of a cold bathroom counter in the morning too.

I even thought about wood for the island, but our main and only sink is going to be there, so I don't think that would be practical. Besides, this is where the granite should be "on display".

So even though I don't think there is an alternative, I am curious, did anyone find that they had to adjust to the colder counters? Am I crazy to think it wouldn't be comfortable?

annab6

Comments (28)