SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debrak_2008_gw

new bed is too hot!

debrak_2008
13 years ago

Wasn't sure where to post this.

We in our new master bedroom. Most things are working out well, just a few decorating dilemas. The most pressing issues it is the heat.

The new room and bed are completely different then the old one. The new room is bigger with more windows. The ceiling is higher with a ceiling fan. The new bed has a latex pillow top mattress. The sheets are the same (didn't buy new ones yet). We had a blanklet and comforter (light). I removed the blanket.

We are so hot in the middle of the night. The heat in the house is off. I think the temp outside last night was in the high 50's. Had two windows open a few inches. About 2am I turned on the fan.

It seems the heat is coming from the bed. Is it the matthress? What can we do?

Comments (36)

• mjsee
    13 years ago

Feather bed, wool mattress cover, or something to insulate you from the mattress...or get a different mattress. Latex pillow-top mattresses are notorious for sleeping "hot." In fact, our new Beautyrest Black plush top mattress was sold as having "cool sleep technology" or something along those lines. It works for us.

Good luck!

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Some mattresses hold body heat and make you feel warm in bed, but I cannot imagine a bed generating heat into the room.

• Related Discussions

interesting read from Mother Earth News on hot beds

Q

Comments (2)
    I could never get the page to load for me off that link. It would just churn and never load. I googled and found a link that would load. Reading it now. Here is a link that might be useful: 100 year hotbed
    ...See More

New greenhouse too hot

Q

Comments (12)
    My greenhouse had problems with heat build up this year, too. Tried a shade cloth on the inside on the back 1/3, which is south. It helped some..will put it on the outside next year. There are two intake vents in the "front" (one on the east side, one on the west) which is north and my fan is on the opposite wall (SW ) There was a heat pocket in the back SE corner, which another separate fan helped. Am going to try a fan/mist system such is used for cooling livestock. We had some extrmemly sunny, warm weather all of April,and then again later in the spring,so that made the situation different than the year before when excess heat was not a problem. The horticulture teacher at a nearby school said he would spray paint the surface of their greenhouses white (special paint?) on the outside, and as the summer went on, it washed/peeled off. I would guess the material your greenhouse walls are made of would also determine if this is a solution for you. If nothing else, we know what is meant by "greenhouse effect".
    ...See More

Annoying weather--too hot, too cold!

Q

Comments (8)
    Firsthouse, oh no - what a terrible loss.. pout :( I am concerned but..Not so much yet, however this weekend it is going to be hot, hot, hot - unseasonably hot! I already have a ton of sprouts, seedlings, and a few with their leaves coming out of the lid - as you did. After the recent rains, and the previously warm weather, these guys and gals are gonna be ready to move on - but it is not after my frost date, and I don't have a lot of ground ready (I do some.. and plan on using it accordingly.. as needed..) My question is.. how long can I keep them in these containers? I did not plant the seeds thick, in fact - many milk jugs have 8-10 and 2 liters around 5-6 , depending on the plant. So, they should .. have room for a while - shooting for April 15th, around here uncle sam brings us the heat, and how! I used a homeblended soil - adding worm castings and bone meal and some soil (always at least a third.. usually more). If they can't survive, are most of perennials tolerant to being transplanted more than once? I was so thrilled to read about this phenomenon, and as soon as I finally took the "Leap of Faith" as Trudi referred to it as, I have .. well, - enjoyed, ALOT. Planting seeds of flowers I have no idea what they are, or how to grow, but - they are growing - WHAT NOW??!!?? Thanks in advance - Crazed Wintersower in NC
    ...See More

new seed swap! some like it hot,hot,hot!!!

Q

Comments (5)
    Bump! LOL~~Come on~~we need at least 10 people~~anything under 10 ~~~i'm going to cancel the swap.Me and plantas makes 2~~~8 more to go!!!!
    ...See More
  • juliekcmo
    13 years ago

I work in hvac.

Here are some things to consider besides the mattress. (although the mattress may in fact be the problem)

Where is your thermostat located? Do you sleep with the bedroom door closed? How is your system set for night time?

It is the thermostat that reads the temperature in the space and then decides if the ac or heat needs to come on.

If the tstat is someplace in the home that will have a temperature that differs by a few degrees from your bedroom, that can make your bedroom temp not be the desired temp. Solution is to change the Tstat setting so that it will make your space comfortable.

Is you TStat someplace that can give it a false reading, like next to a TV or computer that puts out heat? This can greatly affect the true temp reading of the room temp.

Try sleeping with the bedroom door propped open, so your body heat can escape the room.

Do you have the TStat programmed to set to a different temp overnight? This can result in the system not coming on, and especially not having the fan on to circulate air in the home. Try having the fan set to circulate and see if this helps your comfort.

Again, it is most likely the bed, but these are some other things that may help.

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The mattress is brand new. A friend recommended getting the latex pillow top. We tried it and a memory foam pillow top, and choose the latex. I also purchased a mattress cover. Could it be the cover? Wonder if I should take it off and see how it is without it. Maybe a different cover for the warmer months.

My friend is on vacation but when she gets back I will ask her if she has the same issue!

I've googled this issue and a few people said that latex holds heat a little but it is barely noticeable. Ours is very noticable. We do not have C/A so I am getting very worried about the summer.

mjsee, I think I need to see if it is the mattress or the cover or both.

Thank you both for responding. Any one else have any ideas?

• User
    13 years ago

When I was in the throes of hot flashes, I bought a set of Nidraa sheets and they really did help. Of course, it doesn't sound like menopausal symptoms are creating your issue, but you still might look into these moisture-wicking sheets to see if you think they might help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nidraa

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

When I was reading reviews for memory foam mattress toppers, most people suggested a thick quilted mattress pad to protect you from the heat "generated" by the memory foam, so when I got the memory foam topper, I also got a thick mattress pad and have not had an issue with heat, so you might want to try a thicker pad. I'd also nix the comforter--no matter how light--if you're feeling hot at night.

• kristinekr
    13 years ago

We have a latex pillow top mattress--and the bed was unbearably hot! I woke up drenched in sweat. I added a thick feather bed on top and that has helped.

Also, is your mattress pad waterproof? I found that some of the waterproof covers also make the bed sleep hot.

If it is not too late, I would consider returning or exchanging the mattress.

• Olychick
    13 years ago

I have an older pure latex mattress and it sleeps comfortably in winter and summer. When I was thinking about downsizing to a queen, it seemed that I kept reading about mattresses that were being sold as "natural latex" but that were in fact manufactured latex. So I would try to find out if that is true about yours. I would think if your mattress pad isn't 100% cotton, but contains synthetic fibers like polyester, it could sleep very warm. Also think the mattress casing could be the problem if it is not a breathable fabric.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

We got a temporpedic bed 6 years ago. The 1st few weeks was horrible - I woke up several times at night covered in sweat. That mattress didn't "breathe" as well as our old mattress. The saleman suggested a thick cotton mattress pad. It helped and eventually I adjusted too. No problems now.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

Most new mattresses have some type of guarantee you can send back if it's not comfortable. Does yours? If it does, then I'd contact the store you bought it from and see what your options are. We also recently purchased a new mattress, a Simmons Beautyrest Black. It also have a latex top, but we did not get a pillow top and one of the reasons why is that with any pillow top, you will be nestled more by the mattress instead of sleeping more on top. Adding some other topper to me sounds like a solution when dealing with an older mattress when you are not quite ready to replace it. A new mattress should be made to get you the just right comfort that you need. If you are not satisfied, then I would seriously look into exchanging the mattress for another one.

• pammyfay
    13 years ago

I, too, would recommend that you look for a mattress topper if you can't get the store you purchased the mattress from to do an exchange. I have stayed away from latex for the heat problem that others have mentioned (some people say they don't have a heat problem with latex mattresses, but I'm the kind of person who just has to read a handful of bad reviews and I err on the side of caution!).

Also, because your ceilings are higher, make sure that the direction of the fan blades is correct for the summer -- they should be going counter-clockwise. Reverse it come fall.

• mpwdmom
    13 years ago

I'd blame the bed. We got a memory foam topper and I kept telling Dh it was making the bed hot. He said he was fine but a few months later we went out of town and after a night on a good (read: cool) mattress, he conceded the point.

Maybe it's OK in the dead of winter. Not here though, too hot.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Are you sure you have Latex? If you have memory foam, then yes, it is hot. Latex should be cooler, it breathes. I had a bed with memory foam on top, and besides it getting 2 ruts where we slept, it was so hot, even my dh was burning up. When I exercised my warranty for the ruts, we upgraded to a Sealy Spring Free...it is a Latex mattress. Solid Latex. It does NOT make us hot at all. Just thought I'd let you know that we have had no problems with the latex. If you want a great resource for mattress questions, I would suggest to you that you check out this blog. This guy sells mattresses, but he isn't trying to sell you one of his. He will answer your questions, and is very helpful, even knowing full well you might not be buying from him. Also, there is so much information on his site. Check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Mattress Expert Blog

• dakota01
    13 years ago

Yes - Try a different matress pad. When I got my new matress it was soooo hot and I am always freezing cold. When I bought the matress the clerk strongly suggested that I buy thier pad so I would not void the soil warrarenty.
    I only used the matress for a couple of months, I couldnt' stand sleeping that hot, so took my old matress from the spare room and started using it and wala - I'm no longer hot !

My mom was over and when we were swaping some of the bedding I told her how I hated the new matress - she took a look at my bedding and said I bet it's the pad - it has a thin rubbery lining. So I guess I am going to give the mattress another try w/o the pad and see if it makes a difference.
    I hope it does coz the one I am sleeping on is 10 years old and the brand new one gets slept on maybe 4 times a year.

• alex9179
    13 years ago

I'm a human space heater and have always had issues with getting too hot at night. We just bought a new bed and I took the opportunity to get a wool mattress pad to try to normalize my temp in bed. Works great! Keeps you warm on cool nights and keeps you cool on warm nights. I recommend trying that if you can't exchange your mattress, heck I'd still get one if I were you because I feel it's made a big difference. I found one on overstock.com that was pretty reasonable compared to other retailers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wool mattress pad at Overstock

• flowerpwr45
    13 years ago

Am I the only one thinking "...and you call yourself a latex salesman?" Possibly one too many Seinfeld reruns.

• debrak_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wish I had researched before buying this matthress and cover. I really appreciate all the info. everyone has posted.

The matthress has individual coil springs with a latex pillow top. We picked it up ourselves to save the delivery charge, so I checked the tag to be sure we had the right one.

The northeast had turned cold and rainy. Now the "heat" is barely noticible. Once the weather gets warmer I will take off the cover for a few days and see if it makes a difference.

We don't want to return the mattress as it is comfortable. If the cover turns out to be the offender I will get a different one. Actually either way I think we need a different cover. Cotton or wool? Wool makes me itch.

It seems like things with our remodel are so complicated now. So many choices and each one has negatives that you may or may not know about before hand. I'm sure everyone goes through this but it is frustrating.

DH and I have seen every Seinfeld episode (in order) and forgot all about the latex salesman, lol.

• mykingcomforter
    13 years ago

Nothing is worse than trying to sleep when it is too hot! I would try a couple of things, first all cotton bedding, including the mattress cover, using the fan and cracking a couple of windows, especially if they on separate walls, so you could get a cross breeze.

Here is a link that might be useful: MyFavoriteBedding

• liriodendron
    13 years ago

Several people have advised using a wool topper on the bed. That's a very good idea. You can try it out, tonight, by putting 1-3 wool blankets underneath your cotton mattress pad and then covering with the fitted sheet as usual.

Wool allows your body heat and mosture to dissipate quite well. Contrary to what you might think, wool underneath you doesn't make you warmer in the summer.

Natural latex is quite cool to sleep on - I used to have the mattress I use now in tropical South America, with no central air and it was quite comfortable - or at least as comfortable as possible in that torrid climate.

Another thing that can make mattresses feel warmer is if they are deeply "cushy", meaning that their softness kind of fills in the natural voids around your body. Having a few woven wool blankets under your mattress pad will moderate this effect, too, without making the mattress feel firmer.

I was puzzled why if you were too warm, you didn't just leave the windows wide open, instead of just two inches.

L

• hoh2010
    13 years ago

our tempurpedic mattress is TOO hot for me too even though I have put on a thick mattress pad on it. sorry no help

• alex9179
    13 years ago

Debra, I can't wear wool either. The itchiness drives me crazy. The wool pad is covered by your fitted sheet, so it's not in direct contact with your skin. I was worried about that, too, but I don't have any itchy issues.

• candf
    13 years ago

I don't have a latex mattress but I do sweat a lot at night. I was not too sure about a wool pad either and some of the ones sold have a polyester backing which would also be hot. I got the St. Dormier Wool Mattress Protector which is a wool pad with 100% cotton cover covering the wool. It has helped with my hot flashes and with sticking to the bed. It is very strechy and fits the mattress perfect.

• tfm1134
    13 years ago

we had a pillow top mattress a few years ago and had to get rid of it. The heat it held drove me crazy and I couldn't sleep. Went back to a normal mattress and can sleep again!

• User
    8 years ago

My brother had the same issue when he moved and bought a new mattress. He eventually bought a cooling gel foam topper that solved the problem.

• jlj48
    8 years ago

Juliekcmo - I saw you work in hvac and I have a question regarding this issue for you. Forgive my ignorance, but in our house we have ducts in our basement that have levers seemingly to control air flow to different parts of the house. They are not marked. We would love to reduce the air flow upstairs as it is always hot. Is there an easy way to tell which ones go where? This may be part of the OP problem too.

• chispa
    8 years ago

FYI, thread was from 4-1/2 years ago ...

• toojenny
    8 years ago

Same with us like mentioned above by Dakota01, mattress pad recommended by the company we bought from ( similar to Temperpedic -sp?) really held the heat and we had to take it off.

• User
    8 years ago

I regret buying the mattress store mattress protector. 60 bux for crap. Does not fit tight, makes me sweat every night and sounds like there is a pad under me. Why did I waste my money????

• User
    8 years ago

In fact the lady told me it's the cooling kind of pad too. Bull.

• Kris Hall
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have a temperpedic flex supreme and I have been having issues with it sleeping hot. I am a hot sleeper but this bed just made it worse. I have tryed everything to get me off the matress and found a few things that help... the matress protector your using will play a big roll in if it sleeps hot or not look for one that's breathable with a Terry cotton top. I was still hot so I found a 100% cotton thin matress pad to go on top of the protector and has helped greatly with the heat issue.

Try to stay away from anything that has polyester in any of your bedding as it traps in heat. Also try a light quality wool comforter as wool will breath a lot better but still keep u warm. 100% cotton 300 count high quality sheets work great as well. I have found microfiber sheets to sleep a little warm.

I plan on returning this matress and getting a beatyrest black black model as they are filled with great cooling features.

I think memory foam can work just fine but not alone. The matress needs to be engineered to provide air flow threw the matress and use materials to keep the matress cool. Temperpedic is highly lacking on this in all there models. Personally I think your paying for a name with them.

• Tmnca
    8 years ago

I find latex very hot if it's not vented. Memory foam can also be hot but most new Tempurpedic models are well vented to prevent this, we have a 2011 vented model and it's wonderful.

• User
    8 years ago

Gonna read my mattress protector label. Okay, it says it's a Cool Contact matttress protector with COOLMAX Fabric. 100 PERCENT WATERPROOF, 10 YR. WARRANTY MADE BY Fashion Bed Group. Says Specially engineered polyester fibers to imrove "breathability" compared to natural fibers such as cotton." Just feels like I'm laying in a crib lol. Lady who sold bed pushed it on us for 60.00 more ugh. It's noisy too and too loose for the bed. I will just get a 100% cotton mattress PAD and hope for the best. I used to lay on an eggccrate and it didn't make me sweat.

• Kris Hall
    8 years ago

It should not be like that. Look on Amazon they have alot on there for under 40 bucks for a nice one. Protect a bed premium is a nice one as well as many others out there. Your still going to need a thin 100% cotton matress pad to keep you cool among cotton sheets will help. I found I don't sink into the matress as far with the thin 100% cotton pad

• Kris Hall
    8 years ago

My protector is from Sureguard on Amazon

• Kris Hall
    8 years ago

Pad is from The Vermont County Store on line

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022