SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paul_ma_gw

Trouble with my granite installation - looking for advice

paul_ma
16 years ago

(I also posted this on the Stone Advice forum.)

I decided some time ago that I wanted Venezian Lido for my counters. I had a sample from ASN Stone that was what I wanted. It had the slightly bumpy texture but was quite shiny and black. The finish was very hard and resistant to everything I tried on it. I selected a fabricator that supposedly had experience with this, and that I was able to get good recommendations for.

But so far my installation seems to have been a disaster.

They installed last Friday. The stone they brought in was gray, not black. It also seemed quite porous - water soaked in and made big black spots until it dried. There were a couple of seams. When they got done gluing them, there was an ~1/8" strip on each side of the seam that was dark, I think from the epoxy that was smeared on it. The guy doing the install took a powered grinder with a brush of some sort on it and ran it over the seam area. The result of that was that the entire area brushed (about 2" wide) looked entirely different than the rest of the stone.

The guy called back to the shop and they decided they should apply enhancer to make it look like I expected. But weren't ready to do it then. Apparently they didn't have the material and had to order it. I was starting to get the impression that they really didn't have experience with this.

Today they came out to apply the enhancer. What they used was StoneTech Enhancer Pro. This was applied with a paper towel - wiped on. It didn't look very even, so they went over it a couple of times, after which it still didn't look very even. They left then - said to let it sit and see if it evened out. They left me the rest of the bottle.

Tonight it still looks blotchy, and it feels sort of rubbery rather than hard. I started reading the label and it seems that they violated all the instructions. Apparently it should have been applied with a paint pad or brush, and then wiped off with lots of cloths, and perhaps then recoated in an hour. And there was a warning that if it is done wrong then it may need to be mechanically removed - whatever that means.

I also was able to determine that they had passed on stone from ASN Stone and acquired the stone from some place in NJ. (I am in Boston area.) I am wondering if this is Venezian at all, or some other, poorer quality stone. (I wonder because it seemed so porous, and I don't think Venezian is supposed to be like that.

I don't really know what to do right now. Probably the first thing is to stop payment on my credit card. But can this be fixed? If so, can it be fixed by these people? Is there a way I can tell if this is really Venezian?

(The rest of my job was going so good I guess it was inevitable that *something* would go wrong.)

Comments (8)